turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3.5 Extinction????

Started by 1iagobblergetter, January 30, 2018, 05:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

I don't think they'll become extinct.   There's no NEED to shoot a 70# bow but so many still do it. Nothing wrong with it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyLB

I cant wait until they come out with a 4" ..3 oz TSS #9 should leave a mark :drool:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: KentuckyLB on January 31, 2018, 11:08:12 AM
I cant wait until they come out with a 4" ..3 oz TSS #9 should leave a mark :drool:
On your shoulder for sure.... :icon_thumright:

West Augusta

I have a lifetime supply of Mag Blends in 3.5"   Limbsaver pads make a big difference. 
I've never felt the recoil when shooting a turkey.  Sighting in is a different story.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Bowguy

This isn't a good place to ask. There's turkey nuts here.
The average nimrod isn't gonna shoot tss or any other expensive load.
They're gonna buy whatever is cheap. They're also gonna buy big shells. Look at all the high brass 6s hunting over pointing dogs guys use. They're afraid they might miss and the shot might "get away".
A 28 is more than sufficient and low brass at that. Go to the state game lands and see what's being carried. It's not 20 ga tss that's for sure. 3-1/2" is going nowhere real quick unless the manufacturers make getting shells problematic

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 30, 2018, 10:38:42 AM
hate to say it , but my 20ga shooting #9 tss will do any and everything a 12 ga 3-1/2" will do with factory loads in a lighter and less kicking package.

That's the point though...as soon as 3.5 TSS comes out mainstream hunters will be all over it just like hevi shot. Did you watch the shot show video? The makers of the new tss shell even stated reports of 75 yard kills and further. Remember, our average hunter is not on oldgobbler and wants to put a longbeard down with the least amount of work. If someone tells them they can easily take a bird at 75+ yards using the new tss shell in their 3.5in gun they will be all over it in my opinion. This is America where many believe bigger is better. That's why you see more 3006, 300 win mags, and 7mm rem mags in the woods these days when these hunters are only shooting deer at 100 yards maybe 200 max. At those ranges, 243 is plenty of gun or 7mm08. Even. 308 is overkill at those ranges but you still see the big guns sold at high volumes. Same will be true with the 3.5in shotguns in my opinion.

Old Gobbler

I thought the 10 ga would go extinct , but looking arround there a few new turkey loads being offered ...it will linger on I suppose even though some models have been discontinued

The 3.5 /12 chamber will never die .....remember it was originally conjured up as a solution for waterfowl hunters , with the forced regulation of steel shot the payloads took a hit so the extra volume a 3.5 afforded and higher pressure rating .....3.5 was in huge demand

I ran out and got a mossberg 835 , and stuffed those federal 2.25 lead loads in there like everyone back in 1988ish and started beating up my shoulder

Some companies like browning , and Benelli were at the vanguard of the shell innovation .....some people may not remember this benelli had a 3 inch black eagle , and a 3.5 inch super black eagle ...man did my dad want one bad ....

The vast majority of turkey hunter do thier shopping at local shops or walmart .....those places don't always carry the very latest in chokes, ammo , quality calls. Custom decoys eyc..so yes the very serious fanatics will buy up the latest and greatest amo etc....but winchester and federal are cranking out LEAD turkey loads by the TRUCK LOAD , lol

I have disdain for the long shot cheerleaders in industry positions ,shoot what you want ...that's fine , use sound judgment. ....but peddling  a long shot product to individuals who will likely use it on game that would have otherwise carried over to the following season could and will have environmental price to pay

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

owlhoot

Yep kinda surprised at the 10 , new loads who would have thunk it?
Do you need it or a 3.5 12 gauge? Heck no. But people like it and will buy even the new super loads at a higher cost.  It is all about the longer range for most for sure.
That 3.5 12 gauge changed a lot of guys turkey killing and won't be forgotten anytime soon.
Too much of a beating for me though! So is 300 mag .But they sell.
20 guage will do just fine. So does 25.06 and 6.5 creed .

Marc

The vast majority of 3.5" shells are used in waterfowl hunting...  Mostly steel loads.

The higher density ammunition is pretty much price prohibitive to shoot in the higher volume of waterfowling, and steel shot remains the most popular choice.  So, 3.5" shells are here to stay...

And as far as turkey hunters, as long as someone believes that a 3.5" shell will kill a bird 6" further than a 3" shell, someone will also buy them...

Personally, I have no use for the excessive recoil...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mtns2hunt

Does not take much to kill a turkey. 3.5 is over kill, not sure about TSS but it also sounds like overkill unless used in a 20 ga. Many experienced turkey hunters are down sizing once they realize the advantage of a good clean pattern, reduced recoil and still being able to harvest a turkey cleanly. Just my 2 cents.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

bbcoach

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 04, 2018, 07:20:13 PM
Does not take much to kill a turkey. 3.5 is over kill, not sure about TSS but it also sounds like overkill unless used in a 20 ga. Many experienced turkey hunters are down sizing once they realize the advantage of a good clean pattern, reduced recoil and still being able to harvest a turkey cleanly. Just my 2 cents.
Agree.  Hevi-13 took us to new heights but TSS is definitely overkill in 3 and 3.5 inch 12 gauge guns.  In the future, turkey hunting will get a bad reputation because some will see and brag about how far they killed a bird or worse how many birds were wounded and got away.  Call them in close, listen to the spiting, drumming and gobbling and look them in the eye before you shoot them in the face.  Good luck to all this spring.