turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"TAGGED OUT IN NC"

Started by bbcoach, April 16, 2011, 02:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I'm Happy in one way but Sad in another!  I killed my second bird this morning, only 8 days into the season, so I will be forced to sit on the Sidelines until next Spring.  

Very Windy here this morning so I decided to Run and Gun.  Tried to locate a Bird but had no Luck until 8 am when I tried a Cotton field that still has stalks standing from last fall.  Called once. BINGO!!!!  Gobbler in the Field.  Can't see him due to the stalks but I have one located.  I set up in a drainage ditch at the edge of the field and wait.  I call sparingly and every time I get cut off.  At 8:55, I call and he sounds off less than a 100 yards away and heading in my direction.  At 9 am, I hear the birds coming, as the dried cotton stalks rub up against their feathers.  Gun up, one hen, two hens and then this Ole Boy steps out at 25 yards.  15 lbs, 10 1/4 inch beard and 1" spurs.

GREAT SEASON even if it was only 8 days long.  LOVED EVERY MINUTE!!!!

MY BEST to ALL of YOU and THANKS for ALL the SHARED ADVICE on this GREAT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!

JVA54

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

NCBigShot

...Congrats, man! Nice bird! :z-guntootsmiley: ..sound's like you'll need to book an out-of-state hunt now!

....If I may ask... Where about do you hunt in NC? I hunt Wake, Franklin, and Vance County..

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

bbcoach

Quote from: NCBigShot on April 16, 2011, 03:45:05 PM

...Congrats, man! Nice bird! :z-guntootsmiley: ..sound's like you'll need to book an out-of-state hunt now!

....If I may ask... Where about do you hunt in NC? I hunt Wake, Franklin, and Vance County..

Big Shot,
Already been to FL for four days (March 5th-8th) and came home with a nice Osceola.  Now I need to take your advice and get hooked up in Texas for the Rio and head up to Kansas for the Merriam.  God has TRULY BLESSED me with a TERRIFIC Spring Turkey season this year.  Definitely NO COMPLAINTS from me.

I have taken both of my birds in Jones county, on a friends farm. 

Good Luck to you the next couple of weeks! 

cannonball

turkey slayer

nctrkyhntr

Hognutz

Congrats on the great season..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

RS

Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you with two punched NC tags.  Maybe you can extend your season by going out and calling for some other folks. That's what I'm trying to do.  Otherwise, is back to yard work and little fishing.

bbcoach

Quote from: RS on April 18, 2011, 02:30:49 PM
Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you with two punched NC tags.  Maybe you can extend your season by going out and calling for some other folks. That's what I'm trying to do.  Otherwise, is back to yard work and little fishing.

RS,
CONGRATS to you as well.  I have had a REMARKABLE Spring Season with an Osceola in Florida, the first week of March and two here in Eastern NC.  I have been ask, this week by a couple of kids and adults, to do just that but I'm not sure what the NCWRC has to say about that.  What can we legally do?  What constitues HUNTING?  I have sent the NCWRC an E-mail to see what they have to say.  I'm going to start another POST to see what everyone else has to say on the subject.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Trip

RustySap