OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stopper StoryThread  (Read 9893 times)

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Re: Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »
Dang, way to stick it out!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Congrats guys, nice job.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:11:26 PM »
If anyone kills anything, I'll get to as soon as I can get online. I'm on a school trip with 22 kids in Jefferson City. Good luck. I'll try to check in from time to time.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
Nice job backwater. Been rough down here this year, birds just do not want to work. They are either hened up or to scared to come in.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
Nice job backwater!!

Offline birdman67

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
Well I have tagged out here in Oklahoma. Been a great trip. My dad still has one to get so I will be with him hunting this afternoon and tomorrow morning. One of my birds was a double beard and even though you can’t count the second beard in the contest, he is an upgrade. I will share pics and stories when I get home Monday or so.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
Nice job birdman. Public or private land in Okl?

Offline birdman67

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
It was private. Been a great trip.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
Heck ya!! Way to go. These public land birds are driving me crazy!!

Offline birdman67

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
Ok guys. Here’s my Oklahoma story. I arrived on Thursday afternoon and after hunting Thursday and Friday, the birds kinda had a pattern going on. Saturday it was suppose to rain, so before daylight we placed a blind up in a spot that the turkeys liked to frequent. I prepared for an all day stay since the rains were coming. Around 8:30 I spotted a longbeard by himself making his way toward me. After 45 minutes or so, he had passed by me and was on his way away. I yelped to him softly and he turned and walked straight to the gun. Dead at 20 yards. 8 inch beard, 3/4 and 7/8 spurs, 17 lbs. After tagging the bird, I took him to the blind and decided to sit it out a little while longer.

At around 9:45, I spotted a group of 23 hens and a gobbler. I knew that calling him away would be tough, so I played my cards and let patience take over. I watched them pic around in some hay and move my way a little at a time. Eventually the hens came by me at about 60 yards. When he started by, I gave him a few soft whispers and he eased my may. He went behind my blind and I couldn’t shoot at first. After walking in front of me at 5 yards and gobbling in my face. He took a dirt nap. After the recover, I saw the 2nd beard.
 9 5/8 and 2 3/8 beards, 15/16 and 1 inch spurs, 18 lbs. 1 oz.

My dad was also able to get him a gobbler. 9 1/2 inch beard, 3/4 and 13/16 spurs, 16 lbs
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »
Nice job birdman, awesome hunts. That 2nd bird must have been nasty mean: to have 23 hens, he had to be.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
Nice job birdman, awesome hunts. That 2nd bird must have been nasty mean: to have 23 hens, he had to be.
I totally agree. There were lots of gobblers around and he ruled the ladies. The first bird I killed was missing some tail feathers so I figured he had taken a whipping.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
Hey guys! Well it has been a great season. I have been blessed for sure! I have hunted with my sons as well as a good friend from PA.

To start the year, my son and I were sick during the WV youth season. We only hunted until 10:30 and coughed our heads off! After that, I went on a planned fishing trip to Cherokee, NC with a couple buddies. We returned on a Friday evening and I roosted a bird at 8:15. I knew exactly where he was located and setup a blind in the dark around 10 PM. The next morning he fell right in my lap and put on a show. I was able to harvest him by 7:00 and self filmed the hunt as well.

Next my buddy from PA came down for 3 days and on his 1st morning we decided to hunt a new tract of land an hour from the house. Without the ability to roost the night before, we setup in a cluster of trees that I scouted out on my 2 trips on this new property. Needless to say right before shooting light a 2 yr old gobbled on the roost. Shortly after fly down, he seen my DSD breeding pair and came on a string. Within 20 min of being in the WV Woods, my buddy tagged his 1st WV bird!

Last but not least, I tagged out in WV on my birthday! It wasn’t an exciting hunt because the gobblers were pretty silent most of the morning. I moved a little lower just above a field and started to call when two 2 yr olds cut me off around 9:30. Within 5 minuets I had them at 30 yds and was blessed with my last WV bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
Great birds and story. Congrats!!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
Well its not the biggest I've ever killed but he will work. This was our second farm of the morning. We had a deer snort at us at about the time I could see big boy strutting in a field. Things were looking good until the snort. The deer turned inside out and ran, the gobbler broke strut and ran, and I just helped it along I guess. Crap!! So we load up and go to another farm close by. Pull up and listen and no gobbles. It's 6:50 and all is quiet. Few minutes later we see a hen cross the same field I killed my last day bird last year, and enter the woods, followed by a couple of gobbles. We grab decoy and guns and beat feet across edge of field. Got set up, put full strutter out, and started calling. Immediately we could hear more than one gobble. Then a group of 4 jakes, 2 with full fans, 2 with jake fans came running to decoy. They put the whopping on him and I picked out one of the larger birds. After I shot the rest came over to kick my birds butt. The other big jake jumped on mine and is plucking this thing like a feather pillow. I tell bro to shoot before he plucks him. All he can do is laugh and say i don't have a shot. I said you liar and he just laughs. Finally he rolls him off my bird. I think his bird lost more tail feather bulling mine around, lol.  Even with a miss, it turned out to be a great morning hunting with my little brother. This is a tradition now!!