OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stopper StoryThread  (Read 9894 times)

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
Strut Stopper StoryThread
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
This is where we want to hear your story. Tell us the details too.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:24:58 AM »
Well I guess ill start it off.....some of you probably read where the only hunting I would get is the first 2 weeks of the season, because we will be on a shutdown where I work. well.....That 2 weeks is now over. We had terrible terrible weather here in the sip. It was either 30 degrees, raining, or overcast with 15mph winds. I stuck with it, and missed a bird on day 4. flew straight fromt he roost to my setup, I had been there 5 minutes. He was too close, and I didn't take my time. I was sick. I called some more birds up 3 days later...once again I had not been there 5 minutes, it was 15mph winds, they snuck up on me, and I didn't have my gun up while I was sitting in the wide open hardwoods....I had to let them walk. And then again about a week later, I was hunting in the afternoon, had been sitting there for 5 hours, ive never used a lounger chair, but I will use one from now on on long sits,because guess what my lazy butt decided to do....lay back and nap because it had gotten real late. The birds literally walked right on top of me and here I was laying down...what a fool I was. Once again, I remained frozen...because there was no chance on getting a move on them. All three time these birds were in groups of 3 or 4....as they have not busted up on the properties I hunt yet. So in 14 days 11 birds were called to the gun, and I ruined every single opportunity. You win some , and you lose a lot more. Good luck to all as your seasons open....don't make the mistakes I made.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline birdman67

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
We are on the board! Got one this morning. He started gobbling at 6:20 and didn’t stop til he hit the dirt. Came in struttin and waking up the world. 8 1/16 beard, 7/8 spurs, 17 lb 11 oz. I’ll post pics soon. 
Loving God's Creation!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Nice job!! Congrats.

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
Congrats!

Offline backwater

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »
 Nice job Birdman!

Offline Dirtybird552

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
Got my bird from Saturday posted but forgot to add my story till now. I had 3 birds on fire that morning. They were all in different corners of the property so I had to pick which one to go after. The first two shut up when they hit the ground. He gobbled once and I headed that way. I knew he was most likely in a small hardwood bottom that is about 100yds wide and 350-400yds long with a shallow branch running through it. I got him to sound off one more time when I finally got over there. I started sneaking and calling up the bottom with no luck. When I got about 2/3 the way to the other end I stoped and called and he fired off. I looked up and could see him strutting about 75-100 yds throughly the trees. So I dropped down and set up. I threw everything at him with no luck. Then I caught a glimpse of the hens with him. After 45 min I couldn’t take it. I dropped everything but my gun and a mouth call, hopped down in the branch and started slipping up the hollar. They were feeding away from me so I had to stop and check several times as I was moving along. Finally I got even with them. The bank of the branch is about 2foot over my head so I found a root I could boost myself up with. The first time I peeked over I couldn’t see anything but jakes and hens feeding. The second time I raised up there he was between two trees, blowed up like a picture. I put the dot on him and let my old 3 1/2 h&r bark. It was a long hot walk back to the truck but it was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
Wow congrats guys. Dirtybird, there has to be a picture with the bird in scales, and a picture of tape on beard too. If no someone will cry foul. If you have some post them up, otherwise they say we have to record it a different way, just to be fair in the contest.
I've been sick for the last 4 days and didn't even get to get out and listen. Congrats fellas

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
Never mind dirtybird, my bad. I didn't see it in contest entries. Whoops. Congrats

Offline backwater

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
Nice job Dirtybird.    Good story.

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Congrats guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:50 AM »
well my vacation ended. no bird in the first two weeks of the season. but I had one day off this week so I went, took 1/2 the day to get in a position to kill this bird which required sitting in the same spot for 4 hours while he spit and drum in one spot waiting for the opportunity to move on him. and that I did. killed him at 1130.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline backwater

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:35:26 AM »
Way to stick with it DZ.    congratulations

Offline birdman67

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:39:05 AM »
Congrats! Persistence paid off!
Loving God's Creation!

Offline Dirtybird552