turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advise on marlin watkins fiddle box

Started by Fl strutter, January 17, 2018, 07:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

Just got on his list and would like y'alls opinion on wood combos from him. Looking for a nice high/medium pitch with not a lot of rasp. If anyone has some soundfiles that would be awesome. Thanks.

Coop1082

All of Marlin's calls for the most part that I own or have heard have been fairly raspy. Raspy in a good way.. That being said the most recent one I received from Marlin was Bloodwood over Pear which is a wonderful combo. Some of the files he sent me this last time were Mora/Butternut, PH/Cedar, and also Bloodwood/Beech. Mora over Butternut had the least amount of rasp out of those listed and was the combo I had originally asked for until I heard the bloodwood/pear. As me and my buddy Sixbird on here have discussed, whatever call you think you may want from Marlin will more than likely change to something completely different the day he messages you that you are up!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Fl strutter

10 4 thanks. I've heard great things about his calls. I'm not a fan of a lot of rasp bit some. Looking forward to hearing from him.

Coop1082

I could try to get some soundfiles to you tomorrow if you would like.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

West Augusta

Quote from: Fl strutter on January 17, 2018, 07:11:17 PM
Just got on his list and would like y'alls opinion on wood combos from him. Looking for a nice high/medium pitch with not a lot of rasp. If anyone has some soundfiles that would be awesome. Thanks.
Give him a call.  Marlin is a great guy and will gladly help you pick out what you want. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Fl strutter

idratherb

His calls are great and hard to go wrong with any. Over the years I've had a bunch but I always seem to carry a bloodwood over butternut or carnarywood over poplar

Hillbilly yelper

I just picked up his bloodwood over apple! Its a turkey killer! You cant go wrong with any of his calls!
Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

Fl strutter

I'm waiting patiently for him to call me saying I'm up. Looking for a soft talker with not a lot of rasp.

BABS9

His Bubinga/Applewood is the best sounding box call I've ever heard. Followed closely by his Bloodwood/Mineral Stained Poplar

vt35mag

Marlin will definitely have something you are looking for... Along with something you are not, which will leave you thinking you have got to have that one too.

Spitten and drummen

Any box from him is a killer. I own 7 of his fiddle boxes and will say my favorite is Ipe over Butternut. You will not get a bad call from him.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

greencop01

Bloodwood lid on most anything he makes,  but goes good with butternut. I hear his bloodwood/pear is out of this world.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Fl strutter

I'm not looking for a lot of rasp. I'm sure he'll have something I'll like.

mgm1955

Won't get a bad call. Marlin won't let anything less than his best call out of the shop.