OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gun rest while calling

Started by PA-strutter, November 14, 2017, 09:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

My knee hasn't failed me yet, like its been said when you know there committed I've already got it up to my shoulder and have quit calling.

Bowguy

Quote from: southern_leo on December 28, 2017, 02:26:12 AM
I just rest it on my knee. When the tom is getting close you typically should stop calling anyway and get into shooting form. They are very good at determining the direction of your call, trust me if he's hot he will come on into you. Over calling can hurt you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
This is what I do

Gobble!

Two things I have used over the years that I really like are the Hunter Specialties V-Pod then last year I used the Mad Max portable ground blind. Saved my butt on one hunt last year.

SteelerFan

Quote from: davisd9 on November 14, 2017, 02:24:47 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Camo-Gun-Rest/dp/B00162OIUY

Yep - like others have said... works really well.

It's so lightweight I guarantee you'll move to your next set and forget you have it on your leg until you look for it. Unless that's just me! Lol

THattaway

I've used those HS gun rest knee strap supports since they came out. Also use the butt strap on the old tom vest I have. You can easily add a butt strap to any vest, all it takes is a loop of paracord attached to your gun side shoulder of whatever vest you have. Can't imagine not having either of those while hunting. Would be back to the old days with a turkey showing up unexpectedly while you had a call in your hands and the darn gun sliding off your knee giving you away with the movement.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

LaLongbeard

Yep ...the knee pad gun rest been using mine so long  I don't remember were or when I got it but it works
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

wisconsinteacher

I took 2 wooden dowels and made a rest with them.  I used the rubber bands used for castration.  Cheap and it works.

bbcoach

Quote from: eddie234 on January 03, 2018, 06:37:30 PM
X2 and I also have butt sling on my HS Strut vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My vest doesn't have the butt sling but I was thinking of adding one by sewing a strap onto the vest.  Get a piece of one inch nylon webbing, making a loop to hold the buttstock and attach it over my right shoulder to the back of the vest.   

eddie234

Quote from: bbcoach on February 13, 2018, 10:01:04 PM
Quote from: eddie234 on January 03, 2018, 06:37:30 PM
X2 and I also have butt sling on my HS Strut vest

My vest doesn't have the butt sling but I was thinking of adding one by sewing a strap onto the vest.  Get a piece of one inch nylon webbing, making a loop to hold the buttstock and attach it over my right shoulder to the back of the vest.
I did that for one of my vest but got some snaps at Walmart to attach the webbing to the vest strap at the shoulder.

Damson

I normally use the HS knee rest.  I've thought about making a stick style shooting rest with two old arrows and paracord.  Then find a way to bind it to my barrel if I have the room around me. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Gobble! on January 08, 2018, 10:07:06 AM
Two things I have used over the years that I really like are the Hunter Specialties V-Pod then last year I used the Mad Max portable ground blind. Saved my butt on one hunt last year.
I use the VPod as well. I like that it snaps snuggly to the barrel and out of your way but deployes quick and quiet and really does a good job of keeping your gun steady and stable, while still allowing you to adjust if needed.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Sir-diealot

I am going to have to use something this year because I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago roughly and won't be able to hold front of gun up and one of the things suggested to me was this product The Hip Stick. I have some hip problems from a car accident so I won't be using it but maybe it is something that will work for you? http://www.hipstickrest.com/ Best of luck to you this year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TKE921

I have used a Primos trigger stick short bi-pod, since the year they came out.  Gun sits on it and rests against my shoulder while calling.  Once i have a bird coming close I switch to mouth call and get my head and hands into position.  It allows for nearly effortless elevation changes on the gun, and can be rocked from side to side on one leg if necessary.  I can't count the number of things I have sold for Will once folks saw me use it in the woods. 

Marc

Quote from: PA-strutter on November 15, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I was looking for more of a monopod/bipod solution but I am going to give this HS strut rest a try. I found it pretty cheap on Amazon and I am gonna pull the trigger on it.
I have tried a monopod...  I would switch to a bipod were I more serious about using such.  The monopod requires some degree of effort to balance, and you cannot just lay the stock on your lap or hold it clenched under your shoulder... (At least with the one I have used in my own experience).

Plus, you have to stick that monopod in the ground a bit to get any stability at all (which can be troublesome in the rocky ground I hunt).  I would assume with a bipod that you just put it down, and it is ready to go...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mtns2hunt

Some good suggestions here. Never used the knee rest. But I do use bi pods and have several versions from different manufactures. I have a bi pod that is high enough to shoot out a blind and several that I use from the ground. I prefer an aluminum bi pod that locks and won't come apart. Other wise the bottom legs may stuck and if you have to swivel a bit the bi pod can come apart. Bi pods work well when you have to hold up the shotgun for an extended period for time. They really make the hunt for kids too because most kids can not hold the shotgun up for extended amounts of time, neither can most adults. I just lay the shotgun on the bi pod put the butt under my arm which frees up the hands to call. I mainly use box, mouth and pot calls.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.