turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fowler Dymondwood

Started by Flounder, July 09, 2017, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

Is it my lack of knowledge or ability? But I do declare a Fowler dymondwood plays on about everything I put it on. It's the first striker I grab, maybe bills snakewood.
Share your input guys.

HookedonHooks

I myself am very new to the custom call word and have definitely not tried out many, many woods and combinations.... But in my young collection and already amassing amount of calls, no striker runs better than a Macassar Ebony from Derrick Stuckey, at least in my opinion. I'm looking to try a Tulipwood of his along with a Lingum Vitae, and possibly even one of his bonded stabilized Maple Burl/ Macassar Ebony's as well.... But as for a definite thing, that all Macassar of his I have is killer and doesn't not run on a single pot I own.

sbbow

Mr Fowler makes a great striker I have about a dozen of his striker including a red dymondwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

I just got a couple from Fowler myself.I got black locust and an Ipe they both sound good on everything I have put them to. What are some of the other good ones to try I thought about Jatoba and the macasar ebony.

davisd9

Mr. Fowler's strikers are my go to, especially his Snakewood. They balance great and really catch the surface. He is also an awesome person and worth giving a call!

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

vt35mag

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 09, 2017, 11:57:16 PM
I'm looking to try a Tulipwood of his along with a Lingum Vitae, and possibly even one of his bonded stabilized Maple Burl/ Macassar Ebony's as well.... But as for a definite thing, that all Macassar of his I have is killer and doesn't not run on a single pot I own.

My Lignum from him runs deep in tone.  It is also a heavy striker. 
I have four crown royal bags full of strikers, aside from dymondwood, his tulipwood is my favorite.  Its a very surface friendly striker, but I like it most on glass/crystal.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: vt35mag on July 10, 2017, 09:59:51 AM
I'm looking to try a Tulipwood of his along with a Lingum Vitae, and possibly even one of his bonded stabilized Maple Burl/ Macassar Ebony's as well.... But as for a definite thing, that all Macassar of his I have is killer and doesn't not run on a single pot I own.

I have four crown royal bags full of strikers, aside from dymondwood, his tulipwood is my favorite.  Its a very surface friendly striker, but I like it most on glass/crystal.
You got any duplicates of his in any woods you'd want to part with? I'm ordering a call from him with the Amazon Rosewood striker. But I want a Tulipwood, and a Dymondwood for sure.

vt35mag

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 10, 2017, 11:54:50 AM
Quote from: vt35mag on July 10, 2017, 09:59:51 AM

You got any duplicates of his in any woods you'd want to part with? I'm ordering a call from him with the Amazon Rosewood striker. But I want a Tulipwood, and a Dymondwood for sure.

I cycled through a few Tulipwoods until I found a nearly identical sounding pair.  Unfortunately, I sold/gave away the others already.  I would be pretty upset if I lost the one I had, so I made sure to have a near match just in case.  Its the only one I have duplicates of.

sbbow

Quote from: Chris O on July 10, 2017, 05:54:05 AM
I just got a couple from Fowler myself.I got black locust and an Ipe they both sound good on everything I have put them to. What are some of the other good ones to try I thought about Jatoba and the macasar ebony.
Mac. Ebony , tulipwood, mystery wood, Osage/snakewood

davisd9

Quote from: Chris O on July 10, 2017, 05:54:05 AM

Osage/Mysterywood, Osage/Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Black Locust, and Osage/Snakewood.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

merriamsman

I wonder if it's just that diamondwood runs on everything. I have a bunch of strikers, including several from Stuckey, and his diamondwood runs well on every call I own. If I had to use only one striker for everything, it would be a Stuckey diamondwood.

Gobbleandgrunt

I love my fowler dymondwood, Lyman dymondwood, and my Matt McClain ironwood. All great strikers.

Coop1082

I tend to stick to Stuckey strikers and echo what merriamsman said except mine would be macassar Ebony. I have quite a few from him and I have his dymondwood, macassar, and tulipwood with me on every single hunt. All three of them run great!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Happy hooker

Is MR Fowler taking orders again he was ill for a while.

Chris O

Quote from: Happy hooker on July 10, 2017, 05:33:38 PM
Is MR Fowler taking orders again he was ill for a while.
I just got mine last week so I would say so