OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

locate a bird

Started by gob09, February 10, 2011, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gob09

i for one never had much luck at all locating a bird the night before unless i seen him go to roost how about y'all

mostly i've just been lucky if i get on bird in the morning i just go to where iv'e seen birds

unclerick

Same here, I have never been able to use a locator call of any sort to locate gobblers, not at night, early mourning, middle of the day or evening at roost time.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: gob09 on February 10, 2011, 09:27:31 PM
i for one never had much luck at all locating a bird the night before unless i seen him go to roost how about y'all

mostly i've just been lucky if i get on bird in the morning i just go to where iv'e seen birds

I personally believe it is a waste of time trying to locate one during the evening. I have tried several times, birds are there, just won't gobble. I have tried coyote, owl, and even crow to get one to gobble during the evening. During the morning the owl hooter is hard to beat. I locate just about all my birds with an owl hooter. I do carry two different types, the reed and then just the regular one, you just blow in. Have had some success with the crow.

mfd1027

Can't hunt in the afternoon's here in fla. so I'm usually home.  I know the birds really well in ga. so I don't roost em.    As far as locator's  I have great success with my owl hooter, crow call or whistle.   It's really rare that I don't elicit at least one gobble in the morning.    The birds on my lease in Ga. are late gobblers.  We usually don't hear a peep until the crows get going.   I've started using my crow call a lot earlier because of it.   Try your crow call a lot earlier than you normally would to see if it works for you.   
Dan

unclerick

May have to try that Dan, I know nothing else gets them going, like Wes said we get lucky, hearing them gobble on roost and going to them but we do know alot of times where they are supposed to be and sit up accordingly.

gob09

it is suposed to be in the 60's next week wonder if they will be gobbling im going to try and go listen kinda hard now that i have full custody of kaitlyn

unclerick

You might hear one, take her with you.

gob09

i would but theres this annoying tthing called school rick

unclerick

OH,, I forgot about that.. Play hooky with her.

harvester

Quote from: gob09 on February 11, 2011, 07:52:42 AM
i would but theres this annoying tthing called school rick

There is always the weekend. It's only time I can get out to listen and scout with karate for the boys 3-4 times a week.

gob09

dustin they will be terror's when they get bigger i cant see it in thier faces in the pic.s you posted esp. with karate skills LOL

harvester

Quote from: gob09 on February 11, 2011, 09:42:16 AM
dustin they will be terror's when they get bigger i cant see it in thier faces in the pic.s you posted esp. with karate skills LOL

Yea I know, they will probably beat my a$$ in a couple of years. I am thinkin bout taking it for self defence. :TooFunny:

turkeybow

I have had pretty good success locating birds in the evening.  With hooting or calling.  I will only call if I plan on hunting the next morning.  Hooting doesn't always work so I will pull out a turkey call and give it a whirl.  I have had it work several times.  It sure helps for the morning hunt  :icon_thumright:  I used to have a lot of luck with the crow call but not much anymore.  Still get an ok response from hooting
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

harvester

I think the main key is, to have something different that what everybody else has. A custom crow, owl or whatever. Something only a few people may have. Not anything you can get at walmart or some other high production call. I have a primos power crow, it just takes up space, they won't even acknowledge it. Used to have a Knight and Hale crow call and the birds would scream at it. Until i let my boys play with it and messed it up.

nctrkyhntr

I have had success in the past roosting a bird with a owl call. I have had more luck on private property then game lands trying to roost them. But morning times I carry my owl call a crow call and a wood pecker call but never had luck with a wood pecker call.