OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

stinkin turkey ?

Started by DirtNap647, May 24, 2017, 01:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

maybe someone can clue me in on why they do this...I have been in this situation so many times where im hunting hear a bird start gobbling his head off work my way to him, set up he's still yelling up a storm I make one call and that turkey shuts up never to be heard again that day. why do they do this had this happen a lot to me all different times of day, they sound as if they will run right in but they don't they run the other way...?
     this year i have been hunting this particular bird in which he is the first to gobble in the morning gobbles his head off on the roost i mean to where you would think he would be sick.  you set up on him make one call he shuts up never to be heard rest of day

Happy

So how good are ya on a turkey call? :D just joking. I had a friend that had that issue with a hard hunted bird. He killed him by setting up next to his roost in the evening. After he heard the bird fly up he let out a couple real soft yelps, waited till dark and left. Went back in before daylight. Sat down and waited. The tom showed up shortly after flydown.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

To quote some folks, "there ain't no such thing as call shy". ....Yeah, right.   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

guesswho

There are Caitlyn's even in turkey populations.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DirtNap647

grayfox

I've had some that when I gave them a tree yelp or two while they were on the roost would go the other way or shut up completely after they flew down. These were public land birds & I used to think it was my calling at first. Now unless they are pretty hot on the roost I won't call to them until they are on the ground. Sounds like the gobblers you have encountered have had a bad experience with hunters before or they had some hens with him that pulled him away in a hurry.

grayfox

Quote from: guesswho on May 24, 2017, 01:17:49 PM
There are Caitlyn's even in turkey populations.

:z-winnersmiley:  Had one 4-5 years ago that was gobbling on the roost so I gave him a light tree yelp to let him know I was there. After he flew down he paid me no attention after another gobbler gobbled up the holler about a hundred yards. Last I heard them both were going away from me over a ridge about a quarter mile from me. I couldn't believe it.

Spitten and drummen

Turkeys being turkeys. There are some i cant kill no matter what i try. If they ran you over everytime you set up on them , then it wouldnt be much fun. I know it gets frustating getting your tail kicked daily but eventually everything will fall in place and things will work out. When you kill him you will feel a great satisfaction.  Those birds you work for are a whole lot more satisfying in the end.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Had one kick my butt this year. Same thing. Did it last year too. Next year, he's my focal point.

JK Spurs

I think sometimes they may have hens with them and when you start calling the hen gets annoyed and just moves on. Mr Tom follows her off into the sunset....but heck, who knows. They do what they want when they want.
I like my turkey well peppered

Roost 1

He's been pressured. Just because he shuts up don't mean he left. Lots of guys will get up to go see where he was at and then unknowingly run him off... now he associates your calling with danger...if he is gobbling in a particular area or areas at all times of the day then these are most likely his strut zones, beat him to that area and wait quietly he will show...

LaLongbeard

Sounds like a pressured bird and maybe calling to loud . I've killed gobblers like this by getting close to roost making very soft clucks after daylight and maybe some leaf scratching. One of the biggest I've killed  I used nothing but a wing to sound like a hen flying down no calls just wing flaps and an hour of silence with no movement he came in slow but drumming. These are the ones that teach you the most you have to stay with him and be very patient.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

THattaway

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 24, 2017, 01:06:08 PM
     maybe someone can clue me in on why they do this...I have been in this situation so many times where im hunting hear a bird start gobbling his head off work my way to him, set up he's still yelling up a storm I make one call and that turkey shuts up never to be heard again that day. why do they do this had this happen a lot to me all different times of day, they sound as if they will run right in but they don't they run the other way...?
     this year i have been hunting this particular bird in which he is the first to gobble in the morning gobbles his head off on the roost i mean to where you would think he would be sick.  you set up on him make one call he shuts up never to be heard rest of day
That is why it's called turkey hunting and not turkey killing. This is one of those birds where your methods could end up being increasingly diversified.....or you go hunt another bird.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

tha bugman

good pre dawn setup and light leaf scratching will do more for him than any call will.

Ihuntoldschool

Has hens or is waiting on the "hen" he heard to come to him.