OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got a pretty good one in Pa. (pics)

Started by Number17, May 20, 2017, 11:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

I pulled into the farm late this morning where I killed my first bird of the year. The first one was a stud at nearly 21 pounds and 1 5/16" hooks.
I knew there were still at least 6 longbeards left there because I had seen them together just a week ago. These birds were always together and refused to gobble no matter what I threw at them. They were boring birds to hunt.
This morning as I was approaching an upper field I heard a gobble above me. I moved towards it, made a few yelps, and he gobbled back down below me. He was on the move so I sat right down and yelped to him again. He came right into me, but silent and I couldn't put a beard on him that I wanted to shoot, so I let him walk.

I continued on to check another grass field. The grass was thigh high and I knew it would be tough to spot a bird, but I glassed the field very methodically. Suddenly I spotted a red head about 70 yards out. When he went down to feed he completely disappeared in the tall grass. I sneaked up to a stump to glass him some more and I probably watched him for 20 minutes or so before I could determine he was a longbeard.
I called very soft to him, he would look but not respond. Every time I called..........same deal........a quick look and right back down to feeding.
So...........I had to get creative. I backed off the field edge and circled around to where he was heading. I peeled everything off that I didn't need, and military crawled through the high grass to get myself into a position that I could shoot if he kept coming my way. I must have arrived just at the right time because when my barrel cleared the end of the grass he was just starting to crest a small roll in the field and he didn't have a clue I was there.
He fed into range and ended up eating my last 3" #4 Longbeard load.
A cluster of hens took off at the shot and I had no idea they were even there.

He was lighter than the other bird at 18.4 pounds, but he had a heavy 10.5" beard with spurs at 1 3/8" and 1 7/16"
So which one was the real chief? I still believe the first one.

By the way, this bird's tail fan only measured 28". These are the best spurs I've ever killed and one of the smallest fans I've ever killed. I think I just threw a wrench into my big fan theory. LOL

If I can get my boy Jack out of diapers, I'm going to hang up the gun and let him be a turkey's worst nightmare until he kills so many that he gets sick of it!
He loves when Dad brings a turkey home.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Gooserbat

Congratulations on two excellent birds.  As far as the small fan, it could have been a result of an untimely molt?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JK Spurs

Congrats! You're doing better than me in PA. This season is kicking my you know what...
I like my turkey well peppered

Greg Massey

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

SteelerFan

Well done - congrats on your ninja bird!

Swenny

Great hunt and great birds, nice spurs!  I suspect your boy will never get sick of hunting longbeards and I look forward to seeing pics of his first one here.

county hunter

The Woodsman

dublelung

Mighty nice gobbler, congrats! I believe the size of a turkey fan doesn't mean anything at all. Just like humans, you'll see an small built woman with a big ol a$$  and you'll see some with not much a$$ at all.  :-)

mwr

Number17

Quote from: The Woodsman on May 20, 2017, 02:00:12 PM
Nice one Jeremy!

Uh oh, must have a local lurking here. Give me a hint.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls