turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Late season tactics

Started by GOOSESLAYER, May 19, 2017, 01:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

whats your guys game paln late in the season when your still chasing turkeys? Decoys? if so lone hen? Jake/hen combo? little calling or aggressive calling??  What has brought you luck late in the season??

Bowguy

This is a non generic question n imo has many answers. You'd need to qualify where you're hunting such as hard hunted land that never got much break. Hard hunted land that guys gassed off of.
The stage the birds are in varies too. Some years, like this one at home they're still hammering. I've been dealing w issues n can't take advantage but this late season should be good.
Other years the gobbling kinda dies down.
Where are you at? Where are the birds at?

Bowguy

The decoys to answer that question prob aren't needed unless you're sitting on a field. Should be thick enough the bird looks for you.
If you get one to gobble late it can be game on. As long as you do nothing stupid you may be the only game in town n have his undivided attn

GOOSESLAYER

I was fortunate to tagged out the first 2 days in OH with 2 nice LBs. I agree with you that there is a lot to consider. I was just wondering what everyones tactics are when it get late in the season. let just say THIS YEAR where things seemed to be delayed everywhere... so whats everyones game plan, set up, calling tactics to try and go out with a bang this season

Bowguy

Tomo I plan if I get out n get one to work to do nothing dif. Maybe play a little bit coy so he comes n looks for me if I hear no hens.
If I hear hens I'll try n call them. Same thing I'd do first day/last day being perhaps more cautious because I don't want them to smell a thief. If he hooks up n it's not overdone he'll often show up.
If he's been called like crazy you could have a tough road n need dif tactics like gobbler sounds.
Old time I'd get in the woods early late season, get close to a roosted, gobbling bird n do a fly down only w a hat. That n scratching leaves. He'd often pitch down silent n walk or fly into range.
It's something dif, correct? Who calls w no actual calls? This kinda thing you wanna try if they're spooky.
I'm sure other fellows have their methods

guesswho

I start out early trying to peak their fading interest in the hens, usually just 45 minutes to an hour after flydown.   If no luck with that I usually field hop and try to get a visual then adapt from there.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

Depends how my season has gone.  I am more likely to sit longer in a spot if the gobbling has faded.  Call some and try to strike one, moving very slowly and not very far-sitting before I call again, not walking and trying to strike a bird.  Sound like a hen that is just easing along feeding.  It is not always fun, but it can be effective.  Instead of being what they have heard all season-a hen loudly calling from one spot, be a moving hen, calling soft.  I am more likely to do this if I already have one and let my nephews chase the morning loud mouths.  It is risky, you may bust a bird, but if the season is winding down, I figure he has all year to forget about it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

Set up close and use gobbler calls and a Jake decoy. Or hen call with a hen decoy constantly until they show.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Ihuntoldschool

Best time to hunt. Try to sound like a turkey hen.  I don't need decoys.

RutnNStrutn

Quotewhats your guys game paln late in the season when your still chasing turkeys? Decoys? if so lone hen? Jake/hen combo? little calling or aggressive calling??  What has brought you luck late in the season??

First you're gonna get the anti-decoy crowd up in arms!! :lol: :popcorn:
Late season, I push the envelope on getting close to the roost. Drop decoy use down to one hen. Soft calling. Lots of binocular use - I'm not above bushwhacking a gobbler.
That's gonna get the "if you can't call 'em in, you have no business killing them" crowd going as well!! :lol: :popcorn:
At any rate, try to mimic what is going on in your woods. You should do that all season long, but in the early season, with more gobblers roaming the woods, and more suicidal 2 year olds running around, you can get more aggressive. Later in the season I try to get more realistic and mimic nature.
:anim_25:

Happy

Believe it or not turkeys talk to each other all year round not just in the spring. Find what they want to hear and give that to them

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

^^^and to top it off,you stir up the "old school" crowd. Everybody knows you can't call aggressive. Some soft yelps and put your call down.

fallhnt

Happy cut me off. That was intended for rutnnstrutn. So I guess Happy fits in with the "I'll cut you off on public land" crowd. Lol

Happy

:D . That's me I guess. In all honesty turkeys can still be called in at any time of year. I am not a decoy expert so I can't help much there. If you take the time to learn at least the basics of turkey behavior year round it will pay off with decoys or without.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JK Spurs

My late season tactic has been curse the alarm out when it goes off and then curse everything out in the woods after climbing this hill that seems like I've been climbing all year and then go get a cup of coffee. It's been that type of year... :angry9:
I like my turkey well peppered