News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weaknesses

Started by TauntoHawk, May 18, 2017, 01:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

My biggest weakness/problem is patience
I can't stay in one place long if I haven't heard anything.
I probably over call when I'm trying to find one as well.
I've got one place to hunt and it 350 acres and I try and comb it when I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

The two best places I have to hunt are ~200 acres total, so run & gun isn't much of my specialty.   I know both of those farms exceptionally well, but when I hunt the bigger public land I am constantly second guessing myself.  Places I would expect to see a turkey might hold me in that spot for longer than I should stay.  Even though I am very patient, when I don't have birds pinpointed it is hard for me to maintain confidence in my set up.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Rzrbac

I have to echo a lot of the other replies.  I generally don't sit down in the woods until I know I have one coming.  I have no doubt I could have success at sitting in areas with good sign and do some soft calling.  I get enough time sitting treestands in the fall so I'm covering ground and calling. Run and gun is not the most efficient way to kill turkeys and I realize that. I'm in the woods to hear gobbles more than killing gobblers. It's what I enjoy and I've been doing it for 30 years so killing isn't near as important as it used to be.

Yes it's a weakness but it's just what I prefer.  One other weakness is hearing loss.  I don't hear as good as I used to and that makes it difficult to judge the location when I do hear them.  That's one reason I keep hunting some of the same old public spots. I have a pretty good idea where they are if I hear a faint gobble.

Gooserbat

I'd say the biggest thing I would consider a weakness is physically shape.  Every year I say I'm going to lose 40-50 pounds. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

I'm to weak to turkey hunt  March-May and September - January, so I go when I can

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Forked lighting

Ihunted for years frist bird i heard i went to started hunting with a local on the land he had hunted for years an was lucky enogh to get invited to join there lease we would listen in the morning an have 5 or 6 gobbling an he would just take his time an i would be chopping at the bit i would go after one an he would say i going to stay till one tells me he wants to die sure enough I'd get back to the truck empty handed alot times but he was death on them it took me a couple of years to understand what he was talking aboutyou need to slow down an think a little sometimes, i would be chasing the frist bird I heard an he would wait till he found hot bird he always told me you know where they are why get in a hurry they going to be there all day

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

man I'm having a good time reading these reply's

feel free to add you strength that you try and play to knowing where your weakness is
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GOOSESLAYER

weakness: over calling when not getting a response. seem to get more aggressive instead of shutting up and letting them get curious.

Strength: When getting a response knowing when to cut it off to get them moving towards me quicker

g8rvet

My strength is easy.  Persistence.  It has paid off for me enough over the years in duck and goose hunting that I just took it with me to the spring. I love when I am in the woods with my brother, have not heard a bird by 9am and he says "I got stuff I need to do" and hauls tail.  I always rub it in an hour or two later when I kill one.  It has worked in his favor too.  He was ready to leave one day, it was late in the season.  We had both played with a bird at daylight and they had wandered off.  I said, you don't have a bird yet, let's go find the bird that left me gobbling. His hens may be gone now and unless he flies over a creek, I know right where he is.  He followed me and we called him in his only bird of the season an hour later, right where I thought the bird might be!  Never said a word, but came in looking for the hen on hard hunted public ground.  He told me afterwards with no response, he would have left.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

My biggest strengths are my hearing and my paying attention to detail, even though I usually don't look like I am.   A gobble isn't the only thing that gives a turkeys location away.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cut N Run

My strength is probably calling, not so much quality of sound, but probably knowing what to say, and by not to call too much.  I've learned to call just enough to get their curiosity up and keep them engaged.  I certainly have allowed some to drift away over the years, but I'm able to coax a lot in close.  My best friend wants me to call for him as much as possible, because I can get results.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Happy

Weaknesses
1. The uncanny ability to hear a bird in the distance on the roost and the next morning walk in directly under him.
2. Sometimes I am too aggressive. Proud to say I did much better this year with that.
3. Not listening to my gut. This cost me a bird this year. That only happened once tho and I at least recognized it quickly.

Strengths
1. Extremely good looking.
2. Handsome.
3. Pretty good at the calling in of the turkeys. I grew up around turkeys and really spent time with them. Some may think I call a lot but seldom do I have a hung up bird.
4. Pretty good at storing away info for later. It may be the following year but I have good memory. At least at this stage of my life.
5. Tenacity. This is my strongest trait next to my looks. I don't quit till season is over or I am out of tags and that means a lot in turkey hunting.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

hobbes

My job is always in the way.  I've tried to convince my employer that I need paid leave April-May, then September, and November- December.  I guess a reverse teacher's schedule at my full salary would work well, but I may need a substantial pay increase to cover all the traveling I'll have to do.

Also, as a couple other folks have said, small town diners are killing me.

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2017, 07:49:33 PM
My biggest weakness now is pancakes and sausage, and the distance between me and them.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

chatterbox

My biggest weakness is giving up on spots far to early. If I don't hear anything in an hour, I am off to another spot.
Another big weakness is moving on a moving gobbler, and getting busted.
I am good in textbook situations, but I overthink most situations, and stupid it it up in the last 5 minutes.
I realize how much I have to learn, even in a successful season like I had.