OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old gobbler

Started by High plains drifter, May 12, 2017, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Well, I got a nice gobbler today, and I called him in from a 400 yards, across a county road, which was really surprise ing , because I saw him cross, going the other way, up onto a mountain.I saw him strutting, no hens , no other birds, so I got up onto the hill behind him, and hid.He just disappeared across the road, and I thought it was done, but I hid, and called, and he gobbled.I gave him a few more yelps, and he gobbled, then I saw him way out there, coming my way at a stroll.Called again, and he crossed the road, and he pin pointed my call on the hill, and came up there, and I got him at 10 yards.My point is,even if they are a quarter mile away, they can still be called in.This happened at 9.00 am.It was kick that I saw him, and had permission .Ya gotta love turkey hunting, and respect the bird.

guesswho

Congrats and good job.   It's funny, you may call one in from half a mile, but on the next hunt can't call one from a hundred yards.   It's what keeps me going back. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

High plains drifter

Quote from: guesswho on May 12, 2017, 07:37:59 PM
Congrats and good job.   It's funny, you may call one in from half a mile, but on the next hunt can't call one from a hundred yards.   It's what keeps me going back.
. True, I thought that bird was gone, when he went up the hill, on the other side of the road. When I heard that gobble, I couldn't believe he would come back.

Gooserbat

Part of the game we play.  Congratulations
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gentry

It's simple when they ready to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appalachianassassin

renegade19

chatterbox

Well done!
We had a similar hunt last week.
We had a bird gobble from over 300 yards away, and come in on a string right down my sons gun barrel within 10 minutes.
Like Ronnie said, it's what keeps us coming back.

lunghit

Good job! It's nice knowing that birds react differently and you never know what to expect. I had a great hunt this year where I got to watch two mature birds follow a hen in my field for over an hour. One turkey finally broke away from the hen and came to my decoys and he was my biggest bird to date.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

kyturkeyhunter4

High plains drifter

It's amazing how they can pin point a call from a long ways away.This bird knew exactly where the hen was, and I shot him through a bush, with a 12 guage.He was real old, and a herd bull I guess.He was by himself, strutting in a hay field, no other birds around.I knew the ground, because I got a bird there 5 years ago, in the exact same plsce.I think he busted me when I first tried to get close to him, and he went a quater mile up a mountain.Then he gobbled, and came all the way back. Strange.

tha bugman

hobbes

Congrats!   

"Herd bull"  :)    You'd be surprised how many times I've heard turkeys referred to as a herd here in Montana. 

High plains drifter

Lol, that's a montana thing.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!