OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using a turkey fan

Started by High plains drifter, May 11, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Does it work, to take a fan, and set it in a bush, near your hen decoy?I was thinking of trying it. Also, does the funky chicken work?

stinkpickle

Just the fan might work, I'm guessing.  And from what I've heard, the funky chicken works really well.

High plains drifter

I've had several times where I wanted to watch gobblers , and wait to shoot, but I was worried about spooking them, and getting nothing.Last year, I called in 2 really old, big gobblers, and I had 2 tags, and I could have gotten both, but I let the biggest one go.Well, I think I got that bird this spring, but his beard was gone, probably from fighting.I would like to see a funky chicken fight, and I'm going to set a fan in a bush, and see what happens.

fallhnt

You never know what will happen  when you think outside the box. Be safe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

High plains drifter

Quote from: fallhnt on May 11, 2017, 09:08:46 PM
You never know what will happen  when you think outside the box. Be safe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
yes, very true. I think a fan might work.

GobbleNut

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 11, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
Does it work, to take a fan, and set it in a bush, near your hen decoy?

Will it work?  Yes.  ....Will it work all the time?  Probably not.  Are there instances where it will be the difference between success and failure in a particular hunting situation?  Absolutely.  Will there be instances where it will result in failure in a situation that might have otherwise been successful?  Just as certainly, yes.

Cottonmouth

I wouldn't do it, but I've been shot so that will tend to put things into a different perspective.

Natty Bumpo

Now ILLEGAL in Michigan.   :fire:

turkeyfeathers

RE the fan, be safe and wear Kevlar

Re funky chicken   Had 10 jakes and 3 hens in the field at 30 yards the other day. Lookout jake periscoped just like the funky chicken decoy. It's all I could think of at the time. He'd yelp, let the others pick dandelions, check their plumage, run to catch up and periscope again.

Bill Cooksey

A fan only works if there is a man crawling across a field holding the fan in one hand and a gun in the other.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Natty Bumpo on May 12, 2017, 10:00:41 AM

I looked but couldn't find any info on this.  What exactly does the new law state?  I am interested in knowing how they define the use of a turkey fan.  Does the law differentiate between the use of a fan as compared to the use of a gobbler or jake decoy that incorporates the use of a fan?  ...Pretty slippery slope if  you ask me....

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 12, 2017, 12:41:48 PMPretty slippery slope if  you ask me....
Your probably just dizzy from tying your shoes or missing your morning meds.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Natty Bumpo on May 12, 2017, 10:00:41 AM

I assume that's referring to reaping and moving with the fan or decoy and not the entire use of one fan or decoy.. I know reaping is becoming even more of a hot button issue and becoming illegal in some places. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on May 12, 2017, 01:05:06 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on May 12, 2017, 12:41:48 PMPretty slippery slope if  you ask me....
Your probably just dizzy from tying your shoes or missing your morning meds.
Oh no he DIN'T just go there!!! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

The fan itself is not illegal in Michigan...un natural movement is..so even attaching a string to a hen decoy to move it is illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk