turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Worst Opening Morning Ever!

Started by vt35mag, May 10, 2017, 09:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

After the first hunt on May 1st, I leaned my unloaded gun up against the tire of my truck. Loaded up all my gear, got in the truck, and drove off...  This is why you don't do that!  I ended up Driving over 3/4 the length of the gun.  The only damage was a broken stock, otherwise not a scratch on the gun.  Didn't even break the fiber optics in the sights.  Fortunately with all the rain we have had the field I parked in was very soft.  The action works great. No sign of metal fatigue, cracking, bending, or anything else.  New stock should be here today or tomorrow.  Fortunately I have two dedicated turkey guns.  If I had a choice as to which one I ran over, it would have been my other one.  My wife bought me this one back when we were dating.  I am going to play it safe by putting it in a rest, and shoot it a few times by tying some fishing line to the trigger, while I am behind something. 
Learn from my mistake, if you cant put the gun in your vehicle, put it on your hood where you will see it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

A buddy of mine done the same thing. It was a mossberg. Called mossberg and told the woman exactly what happened and she said, "So the stock was defective? We'll send you a new one."
Alive only by the Grace Of God

vt35mag

Day 3 was much better. 22lbs 8oz 9-3/4in beard 1in spur.

ARjtk

I did the same thing about 15 years ago. Pulled up on a favorite listening spot. Got out leaned the gun on the back bumper and hooted. Heard a few birds over on the next moutain so I figured I better boogy over there before another hunter gets on them. Jump in the truck, throw it reverse and POW! Broke in the same spot yours did.

tha bugman

ouch I know that hurt!  I left my tailgate down the other day with my NWTF coffee mug on it and rode all the way to work....not near as expensive as a gun, but stuff like that happens

DUCKDIGGLER

Looks liek ya bounced back pretty good VT!! Nice bird.

What choke and laod you using in that thing...Pure Gold?

Thanks! :funnyturkey:

vt35mag

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on May 10, 2017, 10:56:59 AM
Looks liek ya bounced back pretty good VT!! Nice bird.

What choke and laod you using in that thing...Pure Gold?

Thanks! :funnyturkey:

Thanks.
The 535 I ran over is a Pure Gold .670 with Hevi 13 3in 2oz #7 and/or Longbeard 3-1/2in 2oz #6

LaLongbeard

Can't tell you how much stuff I've left on tailgates or roofs and driven off (sleep deprivation is real lol) I learned the hard way not to lean anything on truck. Nice gobbler
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

appalachianassassin

vt35mag

Got her back together, and tagged out with it this am. Nice 3yr old with sharp 1-1/8in spurs. Gun was still dead on, with no sight adjustments needed.

dublelung

That's how to get it done! Congrats on the gobblers!

DUCKDIGGLER

Greg Massey

vt35mag

Happy

Congrats. Apparently you don't know that mossberg's are junk. :)

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club