turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barking dog

Started by High plains drifter, May 09, 2017, 10:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

There is a farm I hunt, that has a dog to guard sheep.There are always a few birds on this farm. The thing is, this dog barks when he sees me, and i can't avoid him to get to where I want to set up. I'm sure he alerts the birds, and sctually guards them like sheep.Ive gotten a few birds there, but never a gobbler.Any ideas on what to do? It'd actually a great spot, but this dog. He used to take treats from me, but now he just barks.

appalachianassassin

either ask nicely for the owner to put the dog up or move on. maybe you can get permission from a neighbor and access the dirt from another direction.

Gooserbat

Your going to have to be more sneaky.  I used to hunt a farm with a sheepdog.  It was a pain but I figured out how to outsmart him and I made it a point to avoid the barking idiot.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

My buddy hunted a good spot in MO and the guy had hounds that never stopped barking. It made for a poor hunt due to noise. He gave up that spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

I'm sure your not the only thing he barks at.   His barking is probably a daily part of those turkeys lives.  His barking probably bothers you more than them.   I'd take him a treat in my way in, then go on about my business. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

2eagles

Quote from: guesswho on May 10, 2017, 08:16:16 AM
I'm sure your not the only thing he barks at.   His barking is probably a daily part of those turkeys lives.  His barking probably bothers you more than them.   I'd take him a treat in my way in, then go on about my business.

I agree. I used to bow hunt an area that had a barking dog. The deer completely ignored the barking.

tha bugman

I got a spot like this and no matter how sneaky they always hear me...I just keep walking  :TooFunny:

stinkpickle

I have a spot like that with the world's loudest donkey.

WNCTracker

I would only ask the owner to put the dog up if I were friends with them.  I think it's on you work around it and like others have said I don't think it makes that much difference to the turkey

Gobspur

I've dealt with this before.  It's good you can approach the dog and have given him treats.  You just need to up the game and buy him off!  Find the largest gnaw bone you can, along with a gallon of peanut butter. Bury the bone down in the peanut butter tub and throw it on the ground.  Should keep him busy long enough to hunt  ;D  Worth a try anyways!

Spitten and drummen

Just hunt. The animals around there including the turkeys are use to the barking. Give him a treat and hunt. I personally think it would be brazen to ask a land owner to put up his working dog because he barks and you feel its messing up a hunt. Either deal with it and kill some birds or move on. The barking bothers you more than the wildlife in that area.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

idratherb

peanut butter and a dried pigs ear, and a bag of beggin strips. That should make him shut up

chadly

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 10, 2017, 03:09:26 PM
Just hunt. The animals around there including the turkeys are use to the barking. Give him a treat and hunt. I personally think it would be brazen to ask a land owner to put up his working dog because he barks and you feel its messing up a hunt. Either deal with it and kill some birds or move on. The barking bothers you more than the wildlife in that area.

This.  Dog is doing what he is suppose to do.  If you were the owner and you got woke up to barking dog each time a turkey hunter (you) came to hunt that would get old quick.  I would try to find another way in if possible.  A friend of mine lost a spot to hunt just like this because the owner did not like his family woke up each the hunter came in.  Good luck.

spaightlabs

Somewhere there is a farmer that just posted on his Farmers Only chat board that he lets this one guy turkey hunt on his farm but every time the guys comes onto the property his sheep dog goes nuts.

Farmboy27

Just hunt it. Yup, it's annoying. But probably more so to you than to the turkeys. Block it out and hunt. If you've killed birds there before than it's obviously not bothering them.