OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do with spurs

Started by mtns2hunt, May 07, 2017, 12:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Seems that everyone is spur crazy. Personally I always liked the beard the most. I have a really large box filled with turkey feet. I was thinking I should do something with the spurs. I noticed some boil and take them apart. Is this nessary? How to most display their harvested spurs?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

stinkpickle

I tried boiling them once, but the soup turned out terrible!

renegade19

LaLongbeard

I cut about 1/4 inch on both sides of spur boil in water for about 10 min. Scales and spur cap separate so you can clean meat and tendons off. Put spur bone without cap in peroxide for a day or so till white then glue cap back  and put on a leather string.I also write the date and state on back of spur. I think the spurs are a better trophy than beards ,beards break off and get mites long curved spurs ce from older mature gobblers
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

WV Ridge Reaper

I do almost the same as Phillps..But I don't remove the actual spur cap on purpose and I don't soak in peroxide

Fullfan

Most of  mine just hang out in the garage.
Don't gobble at me...

mtns2hunt

Thanks for the advice. Seems like I could go with trimming 1/4 above and below and stringing or use peroxide to whiten the bone clean and glue caps back on. Not sure what just boiling with no cleaning or removing of cap would do.

Most of my spurs are well cured with time and age. Agian appreaciate the feedback.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I just cut them off the leg bone as mentioned. I don't boil them I just poke the tendons and goo out of the center of the bone with cotton swab and peal the scales off the outside with my pocket knife.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on May 07, 2017, 03:37:49 PM
I just cut them off the leg bone as mentioned. I don't boil them I just poke the tendons and goo out of the center of the bone with cotton swab and peal the scales off the outside with my pocket knife.

Sounds resonable. I seem to have collected so many it would take a looong time to boil them out. Thanks!

Swampchickin234

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 07, 2017, 01:11:23 PM
I do almost the same as Phillps..But I don't remove the actual spur cap on purpose and I don't soak in peroxide
X2 exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phattkopp

X2=Same here on picking it off with pocket knife. But I dry it in table salt for a few weeks.
Fullfan---that is a damn sure pile of spurs!! Congrats on some obvious time spent on birds.

Phattso  ;)

wvspitndrum

Like others , clean em with q-tip and pocket knife , then i throw mine in a bag of Borax , they come out great !

g8rvet

Dang, I was gonna show my necklaces, but Fullfan made me feel inadequate!  Nice rack of spurs. 

I just filled a necklace and will start working on my next one.  I do what Ozarks said.  I just sniffed them, they don't stink at all.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tha bugman

String mine with the beard and use the shot shell brass for the beard cap

WNCTracker

Quote from: mtns2hunt on May 07, 2017, 12:02:25 PM
Seems that everyone is spur crazy. Personally I always liked the beard the most. I have a really large box filled with turkey feet. I was thinking I should do something with the spurs. I noticed some boil and take them apart. Is this nessary? How to most display their harvested spurs?
I do the van helden game calls method that's in DIY. They come out great