OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys

Started by Zombie1978, May 07, 2017, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie1978

What kind of decoys do you use? I have used a couple cheap Walmart decoys the past few years with good results. The paint has worn bad so I have to get a new set. I am looking at the Primos gobbstopper combo as Midway has them cheap. What say you?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

husker

I have been using Montana decoys for the past couple of years with good success.  However, I finally broke down and bought a pair of DSD's on Friday (Jake & Upright Hen).  I used them for the first time yesterday and no kidding, I had a hen hang around for over an hour before a nice Tom came into the set up and simply attacked the Jake.  I killed him at 20 yards.  Couldn't believe it!  I've never had that experience before with the Montana's.   Was it the decoys?  Who knows, but I now absolutely believe the hype.  DSDs are well worth the extra dough. 

stinkpickle

That gobstopper combo should work just fine.  Heck, I have old worn out Featherflexes that still do the job.

Bowguy

I like the DSDs too

Ericbrooks

I use a single Dakota jake.
Mature birds hate him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poleaxe

I ain't toting around them big decoys so I bought 2 of  the Montana Mrs purr fect. They collapse all the way down and you could fit 8-10 in the back of your vest. Wasn't taking a chance on briars poking at an inflatable. Head and tail are both adjustable on the Montanas.

CMBOSTC

The only one that I use are avian x, they are compact and easier to carry. I wish DSD would come out with an inflatable line.

guesswho

Funky Chicken, I'd only use DSD as a last resort, probably would just go without if DSD was all I had.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRG3

This season, I took gobblers using my Pretty Boy the first season and the Funky Chicken the third Southern Illinois season, both along with a hen in the feeding position. Interestingly, during the 5th and final season, I had a group of three long beards gobble at 60+ yards at my Funky Chicken/feeding hen, but would not come on in. My buddy had something similar happen during the same season. So...during the late season this year it appears that other gobblers are reluctant to challenge another male that has a hen with him, at least it appears that way even though in prior years I've used the Pretty Boy during the last season with great success. Next year, I may only put a hen or two out during that last season. My experiences lean toward there not seeming to be any consensus on what decoys are most likely to be successful during the late season.

beagler

I have three DSD's, feeding hen, upright hen and jake.
Never Misses

ElkTurkMan

DSD for me as well.

ncwoodsman

DSD for the first time this season.

tha bugman

I like the gobstopper combo.  They are fine if you are going to hunt a field for an extended period of time, but not much for running and gunning.  The Primos PHD is a good option.  I really like the Flextone Thunderchick...great detail and the folding stake made into the decoy is awesome.  All in all really depends on what type of hunting you are going to be doing.  I just don't hunt with decoys as much as I used to.

Ericbrooks

The primos decoys I've had in the past have faded real bad

Dtrkyman

dsd first then deception.  others will work but these can make a difference!!!