OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planting Chestnut Trees any info

Started by jonhaga, May 06, 2017, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhaga

Anybody have any experience planting chestnut trees? Is there a better variety to plant? Do turkeys really target them?

fallhnt

Yes ,they have blight resistant trees. I've only read about how wildlife loved the nut but the Eastern US had plenty at one time. There are small pockets of them around IL and MO but I don't hunt the areas there're in. You need to call your state ag dept ? for details. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Double B

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/pg/35-The-Dunstan-Chestnut.aspx

I was at a deer and turkey expo a couple months ago and saw these.  Nice looking chestnut trees. 
Followed by buzzards

mmclain

I've planted the Dunston variety and sprouted and planted nuts from  a firrst generation cross planted on my mail route 30 years ago.  Sprouting is easy. 

BOB_HARWELL

American Chestnut Society can tell you anything you need to know & where to buy trees.

Bob

Happy

I planted a few on my property. I got them from mossy oak native nurseries. They suggest planting more than one for pollination purposes.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

rifleman

We planted about 20 on our hunting club and they all died.  The smaller trees are just that, very small.  I personally bought 2 of the trees that were about 6' feet tall and kept them in the basement the first winter after they lost their leaves.  The next spring took them out and they seem to have survived last winter.  I just cannot see them producing nuts as soon as they say.  I have seen the Chinese chestnut grow very big and produce lots of nuts that fall in late summer/early fall.   A forester recently told us that we would have been better off planting persimmons in our area (WV).

MickT

I wouldn't bother with pure American chestnuts quite yet, as I am not aware of any that are commercially available and blight resistant. The breeding and technology is advancing quickly and hopefully I will be able to plant some in my lifetime.

Our state forestry nursery grows some Chinese x American hybrids and they are close to 4' tall as 1 year old bare root seedlings. I have had better success with bare roots than potted stock.

They sell out fast though.

As far as what to plant for mast, diversity, diversity, diversity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonhaga