OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded hens

Started by donjuan, May 04, 2017, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

trkehunr93

It's legal in VA, our regs state "one bearded bird per day".  I've seen a couple in the spring but I'd rather punch a tag on a male turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

seen a few, had opportunities with a green light, but would not kill one.

Bowhunter123224

I've seen several bearded hens but never had the opportunity to drop the hammer on one. But I would let her walk in the spring. It would not feel like harvesting a spring bearded hen would be an accomplishment. However in the fall game on!

TauntoHawk

I really don't understand the "Why" behind shooting a beaded hen, Like a can't even fathom thinking about it. Its a bit different they don't all have beards its also not overly uncommon most flocks have at least 1 in the mix

They dont, gobble, they dont strut, they won't come spitting and drumming, their fan and feathers aren't as colorful, they are half the size so much less meat and you have to waste a tag on it... no thanks

I am def not waking up at 3:30 to chase 6lbs of meat through the woods, turkey hunting for me is the enjoyment in the process of a kill not the actual harvest/punched tag another reason I actually enjoy calling for others more than myself is I enjoy the entire hunt just as much
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

spaightlabs

Dead hens, whether they die in the spring or fall, do not lay eggs.

If you are in an area where are just way too many turkeys, if such an area exists, go for it.  Otherwise you aren't doing yourself any favors.

SteelerFan

I am not that hungry...

GobbleNut

Ask yourself why bearded hens are legal.  The answer: it is because some folks really don't know the difference and will shoot a bearded hen thinking it is a gobbler.  Once they walk up to the bird and see that it is a hen, do we want them to walk off and leave it?  Of course not.  Don't let a mistakenly identified bird go to waste.

Those of us that know the difference,...in my opinion,...should not be shooting bearded hens in the spring (for all the reasons already noted by others).

Worm82

I see a bearded hen or 2 every year around here and could have killed a white/smoke color phase bearded hen this year but didn't. Plus I would had to have her mounted and didn't have the $

Bill Cooksey

At one point in my turkey hunting career, I really wanted to shoot a bearded hen. Had this idea for a mount. I had several opportunities, but it always seemed there was a gobbler working whenever a bearded hen was under my gun, so I never pulled the trigger. I finally realized it really wasn't nearly as important to have a mount I thought would be cool, still do think that, as it was to hunt gobblers. I've since passed on several.

Sooner or later I'll get busy finding a bearded hen through a breeder and get the mount done that way. Since the mount would include poults, I'd have to go to one anyway.

kjnengr

I had the opportunity once in an area that it is legal and the numbers of turkeys are good.  As many above me have mentioned, it didn't even cross my mind to shoot her.  My favorite thing on a gobbler is his spurs and well, a bearded hen doesn't usually have spurs so I chose to wait for a gobbler.  I went home (and the rest of the season) without punching a tag after that trip and I didn't regret not pulling the trigger on her.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 05, 2017, 10:46:53 AM
Ask yourself why bearded hens are legal.  The answer: it is because some folks really don't know the difference and will shoot a bearded hen thinking it is a gobbler.  Once they walk up to the bird and see that it is a hen, do we want them to walk off and leave it?  Of course not.  Don't let a mistakenly identified bird go to waste.

Those of us that know the difference,...in my opinion,...should not be shooting bearded hens in the spring (for all the reasons already noted by others).

I discussion on bearded hens over on Archery talk led to a guy stating that "All Hens have beards in PA" accompanied by posting a pictures of 3 jakes

These are the people we get to share the woods with  :fud: :funnyturkey:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

spaightlabs

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 05, 2017, 12:22:58 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on May 05, 2017, 10:46:53 AM

I discussion on bearded hens over on Archery talk led to a guy stating that "All Hens have beards in PA" accompanied by posting a pictures of 3 jakes

These are the people we get to share the woods with  :fud: :funnyturkey:

That is awesome!

I was at a large that of WIHA ground hunting pheasants in KS a few years back.  Was talking to a C.O. back that the truck and we heard some pretty good shooting action out in the filed.  He asked if they were with us and we said no, but they seemed a little goofy when we saw them earlier.

They were probably 200 yards form the trucks and kicked up a rooster and made a nice shot on it.  They get back to the truck, GW asks if they had been doing any good as he heard a good bit of shooting.  Guys says 'yup, but this is the first pretty one...' :TrainWreck1:

g8rvet

If I owned a very large tract of land and managed it aggressively for turkeys with great success, I could see a situation where I would pull the trigger. But barring a lottery hit, I don't ever see that happening.  Only had one really easy chance to kill one, but there was a bird gobbling right nearby so it never even crossed my mind to squeeze the trigger.  Of course, the gobbling bird stepped out and it was a jake!  So I had fun that day, but did not kill a bird.  Saw the hen many more times that year, but never tried to call her in after that day. 

For me, I really enjoy the hunt.  The whole hunt. And the challenge.  But if someone wants to shoot a legal hen on property I do not control, no judgement from me.  I worry about me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

renegade19

Meh.  I shot one in the fall one time with my bow.  Regretted it ever since.  Probably won't do it again.