OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Called in the closer.  (Read 2541 times)

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
Called in the closer.
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
Not long after flydown I got on a group of gobbling birds that were over on private land. It actually sounded like a group of jakes with one mature gobble thrown in. At one point they drifted off deeper onto the private and I heard a shot right in their direction. That shut them down. I texted Derek that my bird just got killed and I would be moving to a new spot shortly. I stood up to leave and gave it one last series and bam, the big gobble is close. I sat down and knew all he had to do was crest a little hump that was 30 yds from me. To the left of the hump was a wall of greenbriar. Of course he got behind this and we had a stand-off for an hour before he and his little jake buddies slid off. They were so close but I never saw them. In the meantime Derek had texted the LBD terxt and asked where I was was. I met him at the truck and we hit a nearby chunk of woods, and got a jake in to 40-45 yards. I really wanted to hit the other spot and he suggested it so off we went. We circled up through the woods a little differently than I had approached and got on the backside of the briars. Holy crap there was a trail there. They were marching up and down this trail that I didn't know was there. Derek called got them started and we had to sit quick. It wasn't long before I saw a black body and a fan...a full fan working to us on the trail. He got half behind a tree and I see a couple other birds passing him behind the tree. They pop out in the open, jakes. I can still see half the fan behind the tree. He starts moving at me in full strut. I put his head on the red dot and flopped him. Thanks to Derek for the assist! Nice bird. Stats at the truck were a little better than what I got on camera, but still an upgrade.

Oops, Derek told it from his side too!! Great morning.

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
Re: Called in the closer.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
Great work.....

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Called in the closer.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »
Good upgrade there, you've had an awesome year !

Gods of Thunder

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
Nice!

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
Congratulations!!