Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Called in the closer.

Started by MDbowman, May 01, 2017, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDbowman

Not long after flydown I got on a group of gobbling birds that were over on private land. It actually sounded like a group of jakes with one mature gobble thrown in. At one point they drifted off deeper onto the private and I heard a shot right in their direction. That shut them down. I texted Derek that my bird just got killed and I would be moving to a new spot shortly. I stood up to leave and gave it one last series and bam, the big gobble is close. I sat down and knew all he had to do was crest a little hump that was 30 yds from me. To the left of the hump was a wall of greenbriar. Of course he got behind this and we had a stand-off for an hour before he and his little jake buddies slid off. They were so close but I never saw them. In the meantime Derek had texted the LBD terxt and asked where I was was. I met him at the truck and we hit a nearby chunk of woods, and got a jake in to 40-45 yards. I really wanted to hit the other spot and he suggested it so off we went. We circled up through the woods a little differently than I had approached and got on the backside of the briars. Holy crap there was a trail there. They were marching up and down this trail that I didn't know was there. Derek called got them started and we had to sit quick. It wasn't long before I saw a black body and a fan...a full fan working to us on the trail. He got half behind a tree and I see a couple other birds passing him behind the tree. They pop out in the open, jakes. I can still see half the fan behind the tree. He starts moving at me in full strut. I put his head on the red dot and flopped him. Thanks to Derek for the assist! Nice bird. Stats at the truck were a little better than what I got on camera, but still an upgrade.

Oops, Derek told it from his side too!! Great morning.

DMP

BowBendr

Good upgrade there, you've had an awesome year !

Gods of Thunder

Captain Hooks