OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fun morning  (Read 2513 times)

Online derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
Fun morning
« on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Started out, Dad went to one spot and I went to another. I slipped in and set up where I thought a bird may be, turns out they were not too far behind me, probably about 80-100 yds away. They gobble some but aren't too hot in the fog, end up pitching out the wrong way and work into a field around the corner of me. They didn't seem to have any interest in leaving hens and even after a good move watched them walk off just a hair farther than I wanted to shoot. They cross the field and go across a road. Can't really move after them at this point until a car goes by and spooks em farther back off the road. I make the hop and as I'm slipping into the woods hear them gobble way back in that wood lot. Moving their way a hen yelps pretty close.. I'm convinced she's just on a field edge and want to get a few more feet ahead to a good tree.. when I did I see movement in her direction.. it's a longbeard strutting.. probably only 60-70yds from me. He's facing away, so I just drop so I can't see him directly and get my gun up. I yelp and the birds in the back gobble right on me, close guy stays quiet. A few more calls and it's obvious the back birds are coming and quick, I moved some to be able to see that way, still keeping my gun pointed at the closer bird. Then I see a flash of movement as 2 longbeards are trotting through the woods to my left.. I wait till they get behind some brush and swing my gun over.. enter an opening, cluck to stop him and 0730 it was lights out!

I text my father LBD and ask if he's got anything going on. He said he had been working birds but had about lost em to private. I met him at his parking lot and joined up as we went through another section of woods. He had seen a pair of jakes enter earlier, well, got em to gobble and set up, Dad saw a red head about 40-45yds out but he held up at that point. I tell him lets run back through where he worked the birds earlier on our way back to the truck and it took a little bit, but we found em. It was pretty windy at that point so when they sounded so far off the first time, made a big move and they were right on top of us in no time. I think they only gobbled 3 times total. I picked a tree for him to sit and I sat directly behind him. I couldn't see as well as he could but I got the hint when he beared down on his gun. I see a red head cut to the right pretty close, then another.. I'm wondering why he hasn't shot yet, they were jakes.. then I see a full fan clear some brush... 20 yards away and I got to look directly over my fathers shoulder and watch the shot hit him right in the face! It was awesome. 10:08 for #2
His bird was a toad - 22lbs 6oz, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs.
Mine was - 17lbs 4oz, 11" beard, 1 1/16" spurs.

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
Re: Fun morning
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
Great job guys.  :blob10:

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Fun morning
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
It had to be so cool to watch it from over the shoulder. Slayin'.....

Gods of Thunder

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
What!? Wait a minute.... I didn't know he was your father. What other secrets my teammates keep in from me? No turkey safe wit the Anderson boys in the woods. Nice huntz  :you_rock:

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Congrats killer jr and sr