OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Listening service. What yal think?

Started by Poleaxe, April 27, 2017, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

I think before season next year I'm gonna find some reliable non hunting person around and have them go out and listen for the first hour.. When you have property to hunt spread out everywhere and your the soul hunter I've wasted 6-7 good mornings each year pre season and during trying to find birds at some propertys. I could easily pay $20-25 for one hour to somebody just to listen.

renegade19

Where you at?  I'm retired.  But, I do hunt.......... :turkey2:

guesswho

I've had watchers and listeners for years.  All it costs me is some deer/hog and turkey meat here and there.  Can't ever have to many eyes and ears scattered around.  Most of the folks I rely on live on or close to the properties.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rzrbac

idratherb

I need to find someone to do my job and take care of my kids, that's my struggle.

Cut N Run

I'm fortunate that two of the horse farms I hunt are less than 2 miles apart.  Both women who own those farms keep their eyes and ears open to let me know if they see or hear any gobblers.  It paid off again this year as one farm owner saw 3 longbeards in the field beside to the other woman's farm.  She told me where they were hanging out and I was able to tag one the following morning.

The ladies are beginning to be able to tell hens from gobblers, but when I first started hunting those farms I was lucky to get a number to go along with "Hey, We saw some turkeys!"  They know to check what time it is and look for a beard or a red head.  Neither farm is very big, so if the turkeys are around, I've got a fair chance at them in the next few days.  My biggest problem is getting time off work to hunt.

Jim

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

LaLongbeard

I do my own scouting/hunting/listening I enjoy every part of the hunt and wouldn't pay someone else if I had a million dollars.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

S.C.C

ddturkeyhunter

I am lucky to have good health at 61, so can find my own birds. Do 90 percent of my hunting on national forest and public land, so put a lot of miles on. I guess paying someone to listen for gobbles isn't all that different then a semi or guided hunt. I think that extra money could be traded in for extra vacation time. And enjoy the scouting.

BertieKerter1

Sounds great. Stick RPG 2 unblocked

Roost 1

I'm your guy and can start around the first of April.

saverx

I use my wife for this. Yes I am lucky.

Greg Massey

I have family and friends that help...but i hear way better than most...so i still go and check all my spots it's that excitement that gets you ready for opening day...

nsselle

Do all the dirty work and you just go out and shoot them. Sounds like a blast! What Massey said, its part of the hunt. How bout roost/scout your own birds, its a much better feeling when you connect with one. Fot your $20 go buy two Butterballs.

Number17

Probably 90% of the time, maybe more, I cold roll into a property and kill birds.
Listen for the gobble, listen again for a direction, use terrain/topography to your advantage, set up and call to the bird. Adjust as necessary.
It's nice when you have somebody tell your they've seen/heard birds in a certain location, but I don't ever see myself paying somebody to scout for me.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls