OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SX3 choke help

Started by lunghit, April 27, 2017, 06:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

Hello I patterned my SX3 with an Indian Creek .675 at 40 yards using Hevi 13 3" #6 and I am only getting around 150 in the ten ring. 3" #7 I have around 180 in the ten. You can see from the 15 yard pic (1st pic) my pattern is a little high and needs to come down but not sure if that will make a big difference.  Any suggestions on what I can try next? Great shooting gun but I would like to get a little better pattern. Thanks in advance.

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

kwild835

Are you shooting at pre drawn circles?  If you move the circle up on the 6's you should get higher numbers.
It looks like killing patterns that would be fine to 40yards with some room for yardage underestimation.  I do think if you could swap the .675 for .665 you can tighten up those patterns if ya want some hotter cores and 10" numbers.

lunghit

Yes I am shooting at pre drawn circles here. I will have to play with the pattern during the off season and try a .665. Short on time I started at 40 yards and shot the patterns shown. Looking a little high I decided to try one at 15 and that is what I ended up with. So I will re-sight and try a .665 and go from there. Any recommendations of a choke brand? Thanks

kwild835

I would stick with Indian Creek, I have shot a bunch of chokes and I think IC are the most consistent.  If you adjust the sight a smidge you may like having the forgiveness of the more open pattern you are getting now. 

taylorjones20

Indian Creek .665 will bring those numbers up.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

SumToy

You are in the range you need to be looks like it is high.   The IC or Our choke are two of the best you will find for that gun.  I think you are fine with it just move the sight.  That gun likes the Win XRs good also.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

kwild835

Quote from: SumToy on April 27, 2017, 10:15:21 AM
You are in the range you need to be looks like it is high.   The IC or Our choke are two of the best you will find for that gun.  I think you are fine with it just move the sight.  That gun likes the Win XRs good also.
I agree William, Sumtoy and IC are as good as it gets IMHO.

lunghit

I emailed IC to see if they have a choke swap program going so I can try the .665 when this season is over.  I will look into the Sumtoy chokes too. Looks like they get great reviews and it's nice to see them responding to my post. Thanks for all the help.

Ihuntoldschool

If it was me I would use the factory choke and lead shot.  Either the Winchester or the Browning tube will work great in that gun. 

lunghit

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 27, 2017, 12:42:16 PM
If it was me I would use the factory choke and lead shot.  Either the Winchester or the Browning tube will work great in that gun.
How do you think the factory will work with Hevi? I have killed birds with Hevi and I really like how it preforms. For some reason I never gave it a thought thinking that aftermarket chokes would be much better.

Dr Juice

I have an SX2 and it doesn't shoot that well. Lower your pattern and call it a day. It's a Tom killer for sure. Good luck.

lunghit

Quote from: Dr Juice on April 27, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
I have an SX2 and it doesn't shoot that well. Lower your pattern and call it a day. It's a Tom killer for sure. Good luck.
Just curious what combo do you use and what numbers you get. I always heard these guns pattern very well with the back bored barrels.

taylorjones20

Quote from: lunghit on April 27, 2017, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: Dr Juice on April 27, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
Just curious what combo do you use and what numbers you get. I always heard these guns pattern very well with the back bored barrels.

I had a browning gold (basically same gun as SX2) and it shot really good with a Rob Roberts .660 using Magblends and Longbeards
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Rob Roberts .660 and hevi-13 the ticket for me. It shoots XR and hevi-13 #6 with excellent patterns. Both 200 plus. Plus that choke is much easier to clean than the IC.

Extremesolo

I say bring the pattern down a little and go hunt.  It is easy to get caught up in the numbers game but in reality what does it mean?  All of those patterns are more than sufficient to kill a turkey at 40 yards plus give a little room for error if you pull the shot a little or the bird moves.  Also with the hevi (especially the hevi #6) there is still enough pattern density there in case you mis-judge the yardage by a few yards and you should still be good to go at 45+ yards.  I have several 12 ga guns that will consistently put up 180+ at 40 yards and an 870 that will put over 300 with hevi 7s.  I set up a 20 ga. Mossberg for my son and get 130-140 with HW 7s and realized that I don't need huge numbers as much as I need consistent numbers and even patterns.