OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey taxidermist

Started by djrcm7, April 25, 2017, 12:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

Bowguy

Quote from: hobbes on April 25, 2017, 02:56:58 PM
I believe Hazel Creek will be more than 700.  I think they were in that range 10 years ago if not more.
Well that's what I originally said. 700 bucks is gonna be tough to get a good guy. If you guys ever saw what's in a turk you'd see why they're expensive

spaightlabs

I've smelled what's inside a turk.  I figured that was why they were expensive.

Hooksfan

Timberland Taxidermy in Missouri does good work.

BHMTitan

Check out John Beard at BirdsOnlyTaxidermy.  Great work!  Tennessee.

eorlando

Quote from: BHMTitan on April 25, 2017, 04:37:44 PM
This. Incredible work. He did my smoke phase Osceola.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hobbes

I know what's in a turkey.  I ran quite a few on the wire wheel before changing over to a pressure washer.  It's been over 10 years now but I've not forgotten:  :)

I've got three in the freezer that I keep saying I'm going to mount.  I think I've even got a freeze dried head or two left over.

mtns2hunt

Wow, kill "the bird of a lifetime and then want to skimp on having it mounted. Unbeilvable. I will be writing a check for 1600.00 not including the down payment for two Merriam turkeys I killed last year. I expect to be enjoying these Turkeys for the next twenty years. I do not want a poorly mounted Turkey. You get what you pay for.

I have two Rios in my frezzer that I will be switching out when I pick up my Merriams. I paid 4 grand to have my Mountain lion mounted and don't regret it for a moment. I would suggest you leave those turkeys in a frezzer untill you can afford a decent taxidermist. Just my nickles worth.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

hobbes

Apparently I missed that he was looking for cheaper than 700.  I just thought his old guy was 700 but he was looking for someone worthy of mounting a bird of a lifetime. 
Generally speaking, cheap taxidermists are a dime a dozen and they typically aren't worth a dime.

J-Shaped

Quote from: eorlando on April 25, 2017, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: BHMTitan on April 25, 2017, 04:37:44 PM
This. Incredible work. He did my smoke phase Osceola.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ditto on this. Only reason I didn't mention it earlier was because I thought the OP may have wanted to stay local. Not only is John's work top notch, but he's a great guy too.

fallhnt

I'm with you Hobbes,I didn't read into it,"I want cheep".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

djrcm7

mtns2hunt, congrats on having plenty of dough to burn on mounts. my brother is 17 and does not. The rest of yall, thanks for all the input, like I said my original guy does a great job and upped his price by 200 recently. 700 is average for a good mount from what I see. Hazel creek does phenomenal work, but like i said a 17 year old does not have 1200 lying around. just looking for taxidermists in the 5-700 range with recommendations from people that have used them. .
Med student from MO

hobbes

Hope you find what you are looking for.  Congrats to your brother again.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on April 25, 2017, 12:57:46 PM
Buddy I don't do tons anymore but the price seems cheap to me. Tons of work, check some of his pieces. Turkeys are lots of work

Hey Bowguy how long can a bird you want to mount stay in the freezer without ruining it? If I where short of funds and looking at a true Turkey of a Lifetime, I would see what I could save up and have it mounted right. Just don't know what that wait period is before it would no longer be good to be able to mount.

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

With frost free freezers you could actually freeze dry it, the quicker the better. Normally I'd skin the head out asap n start the freeze drying on that but for 500-700 it might be a plastic head. I'd also take the fan off n card that. I take the tails off even pheasant n bondo them into form. It makes them rigid/secure the way just pinning them won't.
If it was like 6 months or so id not worry. Prob even a bit more but why not bring it to a guy n give the deposit n get it started. Be honest n tell him you need time to get the rest up so he doesn't finish the piece n it sits. Have him call to ensure funds are available before he mounts it. Any taxidermist worth his salt is gonna be almost a year out  due to having lots of guys use him.
The better you wrap it the less moisture escapes. Birds have very thin skin so don't wait forever