OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wet saturday...  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Scottyb

Wet saturday...
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
Good wet morning-  went back to where I hunted Tuesday looking for redemption.  Set up a stupid blind because sugar melts you know-  the plan was to hop in it if nothing was going on and try to catch a gobbler trying to dry off. Well, of course a bird hammers away too close for me to step out into the open and move. So in the blind  I go-  I'm basically trapped like the idiot I am for even putting the dumb thing up.   So I tried anyway- he liked what I was sayin- but I knew it was a long shot.  So, he tortured me over and over. Finally I get out of the blind and go after him- I slip in the woods he was in, cutt and Yelp.  And his hen takes him further away. So I march my fat butt all the way around, past my blind on the edge of the road up to a small "field".  I stop, and can hear a bird drumming.  So I set out the decoys I grabbed on the way by my blind- called a little, and he drums- walks off, flys across a ditch and gobbles- when he does, the original bird gobbled too and had moved back towards where I called to him. So, there I go back to the blind, pack it up and slip around and up into the woods.  I'm slipping along to where the woods opens up, and pick a good tree as a goal, make it there- and the sob drums-  about 40 yards away and through a tangle of crap- thankfully.  Throw some soft yelps at him and he fires back. This is now at 1030.  Gobbler Yelp at him and he drums.  And drums. And drums.  I can see him through this crap, and he is just an sing there drumming, and drumming and drumming- he would raise his head- and then drum and drum some more- he gobbles a little too.  This MFR is IN GUN RANGE and I can't shoot- all I can do is listen to him drum.  So, after about 50 straight minutes of this Chinese water torture in the form of a gobbler strutting in range without a shot, he starts to move to my advantage-  he pops out, and got a load of hevi 6,s.  Good bird, about 18-20 pounds, 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch curved Spurs.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Wet saturday...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
I hear ya, sugar melts when it gets wet ;)
Thats a good bird, congrats !!

Gods of Thunder