Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wife's First Turkey--Oldest Turkey Ever?

Started by gatrapper, April 21, 2017, 08:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfeathers

One thing I do know is it won't get any older. 3+ yr old but outside that like other's have said almost impossible to tell.  Did you cut off the feet and count the rings?  ::) True trophy for her regardless.  Memories forever.  Congrats to you both. Hoping to get a bird under gun for my daughter tomorrow for her first. Youth hunt this weekend.

PS Nice job on the rock on her finger  That could have bought a many a Benelli Super Black Eagles :)

gatrapper

I have mentioned that to her before....not a good move on my part. Haha
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Old enough for her to pull the trigger and as old as he'll ever be. Congrats to Her.

birddogdoc

mikejd

chcltlabz

Having shot banded turkeys before and seeing a few, I'd bet he's a good bit older than 4.  The banded eastern I killed had pretty normal 1 1/4 spurs and was 5 years old.  He didn't have the chunky bases to the spurs that this one does.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

kyturkeyhunter4

CDNduckslayer

Congrats to your wife on a stud of a bird!!!!!

TRG3

Congratulations! I didn't realize that Tammy Faye made camo make-up.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 21, 2017, 09:07:07 AM

How'd ya get the little lady to wear poo face makeup?   ;D  Facemasks work pretty good...

Congrats to her on a nice, but not the oldest ever, bird.
Probably a mud mask...  I wear one every night to try to keep my youthful good lucks (apparently it is beginning to fail)...  Just keep it on when I go turkey hunting...

OP: very nice bird...  Pictures make it look like it might have a bit of "red phase" to it....  No idea how old it is...  Old enough to have a long beard and spurs, without having them broken off...  I would guess 3-4 years as everyone else has...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ontario_caller

Biologists age dead birds with a bone in the ear canal , I believe it's called an otalice . It grows rings like a tree that can be counted when cut and put under a microscope. The DNR in your area may be interested in sampling it if your really interested.
There He IS !

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Cottonmouth

The more I look at it, the more I think he's over 5. Look at those old split toenails and the spurs look ancient. I bet a Goodyear tire will eat more tender than that bird.