OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Problem hearing UPDATE

Started by MDSTRUTNRUT, April 18, 2017, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDSTRUTNRUT

Seems I can't hear thunder anymore, went out with my kids this AM and they heard birds that I never heard whatsoever.   Then daughter heard something walking and here comes 3 longbeards running in and I saw them and could hear them spitting and drumming but only at 20 yards.  Honestly I would have left the farm after hearing "nothing" and looked elsewhere but only 20 min later son had one on the ground.   Have ringing in my ears, family doc said just getting old, can hear most conversations but NEED TO HEAR ROOSTED GOBBLERS and the trees aren't even leafed out yet.   Guess too much shooting without hearing protection or ZZ TOP CONCERTS    LOL

Any experience with hearing enhancers, limited budget so no gold plated stuff.

HFultzjr

I have a similiar issue. Ringing in my ears. These help me a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Points to consider:
Put them on and adjust just until you barley hear "background hiss"
Wait a few minutes letting you ears adjust, then increase a small amount.
Continue increasing in small amount and you should be able to go almost to the max setting.
The secret is letting your ears slowly adjust to them.
If you just turn it up pretty high, the background "hiss" is annoying.
I have found that by doing it gradually, after about 15-20 minutes, it's not nearly as noticeable.

I love them. Just be careful, what you hear may be A LOT closer than you think.....I found out the hard way...............LOL. Was listening to some gobblers one morning before season at what I thought was about 125-150 yards away. LOL.........ended up they were only about 50 yards away and I got busted.

Neill_Prater

Tinnitus here as well, since childhood. I can hear a turkey drumming, if he is practically sitting in my lap. I honestly don't recall the last time I heard drumming even when I can see the bird strutting. I have a friend, older than I, who can, honestly, hear drumming at least 150 yards away. I was with him last year when he did so.

First time I realized that my hearing wasn't as good as other peoples was when I took a friend hunting way back in the 1980's. He kept telling me, and another partially deaf buddy, that he heard a turkey. Since he was new to turkey hunting, we looked at each other, rolling our eyes, because we were sure he didn't know what a gobble sounded like. After closing the distance maybe a quarter mile, I finally started hearing the bird as well.  ;)

HFultzjr, thanks for the tip regarding the use of amplifying muffs. I bought a pair for pistol shooting this year, and attempted to use them scouting last weekend, but found the hiss, or white noise, if you will, when I cranked them up to be quite annoying. I will try advancing the volume in increments and see if that helps.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Neill_Prater on April 19, 2017, 12:17:23 AM
Tinnitus here as well, since childhood. I can hear a turkey drumming, if he is practically sitting in my lap. I honestly don't recall the last time I heard drumming even when I can see the bird strutting. I have a friend, older than I, who can, honestly, hear drumming at least 150 yards away. I was with him last year when he did so.

First time I realized that my hearing wasn't as good as other peoples was when I took a friend hunting way back in the 1980's. He kept telling me, and another partially deaf buddy, that he heard a turkey. Since he was new to turkey hunting, we looked at each other, rolling our eyes, because we were sure he didn't know what a gobble sounded like. After closing the distance maybe a quarter mile, I finally started hearing the bird as well.  ;)

HFultzjr, thanks for the tip regarding the use of amplifying muffs. I bought a pair for pistol shooting this year, and attempted to use them scouting last weekend, but found the hiss, or white noise, if you will, when I cranked them up to be quite annoying. I will try advancing the volume in increments and see if that helps.

Yes,
The hiss can be a problem. Start very low with no hiss, then adjust over a period of about 20 min. Just a little at a time, with time between to have your ears adjust. You should be able to adjust them much higher than if you just start out with them cranked up. Even at a med. setting they will help. Listen to the "tweety birds" and other sounds. You will hear a difference.

sixbird

Not sure what you consider pricey but I've been using Walkers Game Ear for probably 15 years (maybe more) and WOW, what a difference they made.
I started out with one and that worked pretty well since you can turn your head and guess direction fairly well (when it's louder in that ear, the sound is from that direction and a little behind, since the device is in back of your ear).
When I got the first one, I went out on my porch and put it in and was dumbfounded by all the sounds! Birds, traffic far away...All sorts of sounds that I never heard!
I've had fairly severe hearing loss since I was a child so being able to hear all these sounds was a revelation and, to be honest, a little overwhelming. I'd describe it, the first moment I used it, as I'd imagine a blind person suddenly being able to see. It was a dramatic moment...
So, my opinion is, get something that really works and protects your hearing (put it in the ear that faces the muzzle, i.e right hander, left ear) and just bite the bullet on price. You won't be sorry.
I found that the models of Walkers that produced 50 decibels of volume were the only devices that actually had enough volume to allow me to hear, so, according to your loss, that could be a consideration.
The model I'd recommend is the HD Power Elite. Here's a link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walkers-Game-Ear-reg-Digital-HD-X-Game-Ear/1214146.uts?productVariantId=2971988&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03241735&rid=20&gclid=CIDAhenSsNMCFcxLDQodbysFiQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you look around I think you can get them a little cheaper...
Hope that helps...

TrackeySauresRex

It's tough to do for sure. Two years ago my boy said sit down they sound close. I Never heard em,not once... We got him.  :turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tha bugman

I got a younger guy that hunts with me from time to time and he gives me holy HE double hockeysticks...."Don't you hear that bird?"  "Sorry sonny.....when I was your age hearing protection was not en vogue...."

Tail Feathers

I got hearing aids and they helped me hear drumming pretty good last year.  They don't seem to be working well right now, I need to make an appointment to have them checked.
I have used the Howard Leight earmuffs to help me hear them at a distance this season.  They help a lot and determining direction is pretty decent with them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Erno86

I prefer to use the camo-clad Howard Leight amplified muffs for my firearm hunting needs. Great for squirrel hunting too. They do help in negating the flinch factor. Direction finding the sound source is sometimes a problem.

FL-Boss

Do those Howard Leight amplified muffs also protect your ears from the loud boom when you shoot?  I know nothing.. just used ear plugs in the past..

rifleman

The Howard Leights work great.  I use them in conjunction with hearing aids. They make birds seem closer than they are, that is the only knock on them.  Hard to get use to.

JHoyle

I'm 36 and have significant hearing loss in both ears plus ringing. I bit the bullet and bought hearing aids. It is unreal how much I was missing in the woods. Also your everyday life will improve as a result of being able to communicate better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 19, 2017, 03:53:22 PM
Do those Howard Leight amplified muffs also protect your ears from the loud boom when you shoot?  I know nothing.. just used ear plugs in the past..

The ones in my post above do both very well.
Shuts off at a certain level and become protectors.
Great for at the range, doesn't effect normal hearing.

Erno86

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 19, 2017, 03:53:22 PM

Yes...to a point. I prefer to use them with thin-armed safety glasses and a thin camo head net for a proper sound sealant. At the gun range...I might double-up {for loud boomers}, with amplified muffs and ear plugs.

For a proper gun mount with ear muffs {without hitting them}: bring the rifle or shotgun up slightly forward of your shoulder pocket, then bring it straight rearwards.

HFultzjr

Quote from: JHoyle on April 19, 2017, 04:28:54 PM
I'm 36 and have significant hearing loss in both ears plus ringing. I bit the bullet and bought hearing aids. It is unreal how much I was missing in the woods. Also your everyday life will improve as a result of being able to communicate better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would LOVE to get hearing aids, but for my situation and loss, they would cost $5,500.00+ PER EAR.
Sorry, I'm not in a position to do that and insurance covers ZERO.
They could put me on a payment plan of like $450.00/month for 2 years zero interest...........LOL

I'll stick with my Howard's.