OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Well Fellers...  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Clif Owen

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Well Fellers...
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:03:18 PM »
I tried. I found a bird that completely ruined my season. I knew better than to focus on him but he really got under my skin. The downside (other than the fact I didn't get him) is that I truly don't know what went wrong a couple of times. The first hunt; he was across a creek. After I moved there; he had a hen that went away from me. Next hunt I might have let him see me from the tree because I misjudged where he was and I was close when I topped a ridge. Next hunt, he flew a different direction and I never heard him after. I saw him fly down that time. Next hunt, he flew down uphill; gobbled twice and next noise was him putting about 80 yards downhill from me. Evidently, he went down the hill instead of coming over it to me. The next time he gobbled; he was across the creek. Which brings us to Sunday. He gobbled a bunch from the tree. I called very little and most of that was clucks and purrs. When he flew down; he was headed back into the bottom and then up it away from me. I'm pretty much at a loss and it's over now. I have a chance to go out of state this fall to try that. How do you hunt one in the fall?

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Well Fellers...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »
That sucks Clif. I've been on the losing end before. As for fall hunting there's options. Roost the birds the night before, get in super early as close as you can and wait until fly down. Light calling and scratching helps. Otherwise, and this is my favorite, scatter the flock and call them back. Shoot what's available and legal if you wish. Also, if you shoot a hen, it's customary to send the person giving the advice the wingbones so that they may make a call that will undoubtedly make sounds so horrendous that no bird would dare come near.

Offline Clif Owen

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
You're certainly welcome to them if I get one.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Good advice
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions