OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Forcing cone lengthen  (Read 9062 times)

Offline turkeykiller41

Forcing cone lengthen
« on: April 17, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »
I am having a single barrel nef threaded for rem-choke and plan on shooting Winchester Longbeards since these are already protected by a resin I was just wondering what yalls opinion is on having forcing cone lengthened will it help or is it just a waste of money..

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Forcing cone lengthen
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
Tagged.

Offline turkeykiller41

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
What do you mean by Tagged

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
Forcing cone lengthen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
What do you mean by Tagged
That means he posted in the thread so he can go back to participated threads and follow the replies because he's interested in the answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkeykiller41

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
No opinions.

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
No opinions.

i dont have any experience with that gun so maybe not apples to apples here. I had my SBE2 forcing cone done and it did make a difference in my pattern performance in a positive way.  I am going to get my 20 guage done as well.  You will find mixed reviews for doing it on OG but from the few I have personally seen done they all had better performance after it was done.

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
No opinions.

i dont have any experience with that gun so maybe not apples to apples here. I had my SBE2 forcing cone done and it did make a difference in my pattern performance in a positive way.  I am going to get my 20 guage done as well.  You will find mixed reviews for doing it on OG but from the few I have personally seen done they all had better performance after it was done.

X2  -  My SBE2 has been done and after turkey season my M2 20ga will be sent to have it done.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
I had Sumtoy lengthen the cone in a browning inv+ barrel. I hadn't shot the barrel previously, so I couldn't compare it before modification, but it patterns good. It also took a little "snap" out of the recoil. Definitely happy with the results. I have heard mixed results to having the forcing cones lengthened, I think I read that it usually helps more with lead shot than htl? I know it does cut down a little on recoil, which is a nice benefit in a light gun, without the increased noise of a ported barrel.

Offline turkeykiller41

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:05:29 AM »
What do you mean by mixed results do you care to elaborate.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »
Most every turkey gun I have has elongated forcing comes. I've never once seen it do anything but improve a pattern. How could it make things worse? Many guns nowadays come w this already done

Online dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 02:45:19 AM »
forcing cone work is done to reduce recoil...you are flipping a coin to see what happens to your pattern. usually nothing drastic. but it does not in all circumstances improve the pattern and in some instances it goes the other direction.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 04:19:27 AM »
Had the forcing cone done 25 years ago, other thing was to have the "bore polished" to improve my paterns. Can't say as to the improvement, But did this as part of a "Turkey Gun Build" when I bought the gun as a dedicated turkey gun and talked with our smith team at the time, gun was built as a "build" for our gunsmith team to show off their "capabilities" work as I was taking it around to all the turkey seminars I was doing, they also had changed out the butt stock to cheekpiece version, did a cantilever bbl and then the gun was dipped, scope and mount back then too, custom choke was tested for it. Since then the only change I made was adding a Remington 11-87 ShurShot Camo Synthetic Stock & Forend to it. 

I added a pic of the original model and what it ended up as :)

MK M GOBL

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »
I was under the impression - maybe incorrect, that you shouldnt do forcing cones on Benelli due to chrome lining of the bores?

Online dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »
Rob Roberts does them all the time . I’ve heard it’s difficult to manipulate a chrome lined barrel when it comes to that stuff because it’s harder..... but not impossible .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Aurora Wild

• Aurora Wild
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »
I had the forcing cone done on an 870 about 25 years ago.  With the ammo available then, it definitely improved turkey patterns.  With the ammo available now, I don't see much improvement. I doubt it will help with longbeard xr ammo. Honestly, find the right choke and it doesnt need any help.