Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

name 4 "corner stone" calls to start a collection around.

Started by adkmountainken, April 15, 2017, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

I am starting to collect some nice turkey calls to hand down to my son in the future when he is ready. now I'm not talking about a  Neil Cost call or anything in that range.  I'm talking about some "working man" calls that have a little value but will not break the bank say like in the $300 range. so if you could name 4 calls as "corner stones" to a decent collection what would they be? it can be box, pot, scratch or wing bone I like them all.

SteelerFan

Lots of options - and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of suggestions (which is why you asked...lol)

I probably treasure my Sneed pot calls the most out of my current collection. There are a bunch of talented call makers, and a lot of worthy collectible ones - but there was something special about spending the time talking with Lonnie. In my opinion, Lonnie is a bit of an old school legend in the turkey world. He's a truly delightful person.

I've had the pleasure to also meet and spend time with his sister (runs a B&B in Annapolis, Md.) and she is just as pleasant.

His calls are great sounding, and come packed with history and heritage - and to me that's what makes them a little special. Will they win the DD Adams? Probably not. But I'm proud to own them.

If you do buy a call or two - do it by calling Lonnie and having that conversation with him. Talk about turkey hunting, etc. Ask him to personalize your calls. You'll have something special to hand down...

troutfisher13111

I agree with steelerfan!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wcerin

X2 with Lonnie Sneed. A true legend! His Hot Hen slate call is a killer. I am proud to have his calls in my collection. Brad Roberts makes a great glass call and is a real stand up guy. Throw in a Marlin Watkins box call and you have a great set up! Oh yeah don't forget a Scott Basehore scratch box. That will burn up a few Franklin's + but is SOOO worth it!!
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

1iagobblergetter

Lots of great callmakers but another legend in my eyes is Billy Buice.I'd add a Box call of his and at least a trumpet or 2. Ralph Permar is another of my favorites,super talented, and a Great guy also....

Swampchickin234

All of these guys on here talking about sneed calls last year got me to finally pull the trigger.  I finally did and am sure glad I did.  That hot hen is the one call I treasure more than any other I do have.    I am working as we speak to add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpaholic

marlin watkins box, bill lyman striker  buice box an trumpet clint corder or pat strawser pot. and a hot hen from sneed

adkmountainken

love all the responses! I already have a couple and i'm on Marlins build list due this fall! I have 2 great Lyman strikers and will definitely buy a Sneed pot call! keep em coming.

Yoder409

I'm a boxcall sorta guy, so those are what I know a little better.

For production calls...........

A Birmingham Lynch
A Quaker Boy boatpaddle
A Doug Camp
A Ben Lee

For custom boxes, the sky is really the limit with so many talented and high profile builders out there..............

Marlin Watkins
Darrin Dawkins
Steve Mann
Lamar Williams
Scott Baeshore
Mike Lapp

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spitten and drummen

Some not mentioned,
Frank cox trumpet
John eddleman stribling box.
Some already mentioned
Billy buice trumpet
Lamar williams box
Marlin watkins box
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

scoot12

Would like to add the Halloran crystal mistress to the mix,  just a great crystal call.  Scoot

hunter22

1. Sneed Hot Hen slate
2. Lamar Williams Walnut over Mahogany short box
3. Kenny Morgan Beggin Hen scratch box
4. Billy Buice trumpet

Gobble Nole

Does anybody have Mr. Sneeds contact info?

You can post or PM.

Thanks

Bowhuntr73

Im a beginner sort of , but I found even some of the middle shelf calls are the best for me to run and carry. I have top notch ones too but these are worth every penny.

Shaffer Atomic 13
Permar Trumpet
Slaton Crystal Death
Sinclair all weather slate

vt35mag

I will give you 5;

Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen
David Halloran Twisted Sister
Brad Roberts Poplar Bronzed Glass Over Aluminum
Andy Kaiser Curly Maple Ceramic
SS Custom Calls Kwila/Butternut Field Grade Short Box

All in would run you +/- $300