OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Keep a Journal.

Started by super mag, April 14, 2017, 02:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

super mag

The best advise i was ever given is to start a journal. What do you carry that you don't need, what you don't carry you need. What was the weather, how did the birds react? What calls worked, what calls didn't. Where did you hunt, how many other hunters did you see, how many birds did you hear or see. Did you spook birds? how did you spook them? did they hang up, what did you try to bring them in. The best experience is learned, not given. You will be amazed at the info you forget from the first of season to the last. I carry mine in my vest, when I think it's time to go I get it out and jot down what happened on that hunt. I have never killed a turkey while writing in my journal but the extra 15 to 20 mins can't hurt. I hope this will be as help full for you as it has been for me. Keep reading this fourm, there is a ton of great information here. When you find info that works for you write it in your journal. Good kuck and good hunting.

guesswho

I wish I had started one when I first started.  But I started turkey hunting before I could read or write.   But I'd love to be able to go back and read what I saw and was feeling way back when and all the way up to today.   I say every year I'm going to start one, but mess around and never do it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

1iagobblergetter

My wife bought me a really nice journal and told me to keep one years ago. Wish I would have listened to her at least on that one,but didn't. I wanted to write down all the stuff mentioned above along with temp,weather,etc. Also if I was successful weight,spur and beard length...

Boilermaker

I use the rite in the rain Turkey Hunting Journal to document my hunts.  It's a simple form that documents the hunt location, calls used, temperature, moon phase, wind direction, shotgun, load used, and all other necessary data to log for successful hunts.  I saw it a while back searching for tough notebooks to use at work and thought it would be neat to use this to remember my hunts.  One day I can look back and reminisce the memories of past hunts.

If you're interested, they are currently on clearance for a $1.00 a piece on their website.  They must be planning to discontinue this version.
http://www.riteintherain.com/turkey-hunting-journal-4-x-6

Happy Easter y'all, may the good lord bless you with many more successful days in the Turkey Woods!

WNCTracker

this is such good advice.  My all knowing mother suggested I do this 20 years ago and now I'm playing catch up with a journal.  More than anything, it will be a keep sake for your grandchildren to read and remember you by....slightly a side note, it's worth doing a "dad" recipe book too.....I've got my dad's and Pap's bologna's, jerkeys, venison, turkey, and whatever recipes that my kids will have to pass along when I pass along.

AR Cowboy

I do this for fishing, have for years.

I'm not a very good turkey hunter though and don't need 50 consecutive pages of weather, location, and 0 birds killed.