turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosting Areas

Started by Spyderman, April 11, 2017, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Do turkeys' roosting areas stay the same year round? A flock of them would routinely roost by one of my deer stands last fall. I assume they will still roost in the same area, but wanted to get your input. I won't be able to scout the area prior to turkey season.

Rzrbac

Depends on the terrain. I know of one farm they roost in the same place because of lack of big timber.  On the public I hunt, not so much.  I wouldn't want to be depend on where they roost in the fall.  If you don't have time to put boots on the ground scout on Google Earth. Look for creeks with mature timber.  I like east facing slopes over looking a creek.

MK M GOBL

Not at all in my area, birds winter different than spring roosts. Mostly because of the dominance game (breeding season) and I will not see the flocks of toms together in spring. They all break out to their own area and try to gather a harem of hens. Alpha's do the best, the beta's  and then yo get omega' running all over...

MK M GOBL

Gooserbat

It can happen but it's unlikely.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cottonmouth

Very rare here. They could be 3 miles away in the fall and show up in the spring. Only reliable roost spot here is on one place I hunt that is a swamp. The birds always roost over a river there. Other than that, they just fly up where it happens to get dark.

Bowguy

I've never seen that in my area

MickT

Sometimes they will keep the same roosting areas, especially in a year where the acorn crop overwhelms them. I watched a flock of 5-15 long beards all November roosting just down the ridge from me and they are still in there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Yes and no is the answer

I can think of one property where the birds roost in the same trees 365 days a year for as many years as anyone can remember. the number of birds that use the roost changes through out the year but there's always someone home. I would say that's rare though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

fallhnt

Spring and Fall roost is different more than it is the same. Guess you'll find out when you go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Kylongspur88

In my experience they will sometimes use the same area all year. Depends on the area. I know of several places in the hills where turkeys roost year round. Not the same trees, but same general area.

jed clampett

They roost at the place where I hunt more in the fall and not so much in the spring...fall roost ..they are in some thick trees a little ways away from the river..but in the spring they move to the bigger taller trees along the river and in a pretty good stretch