OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quiet Spring outright depressing

Started by turkaholic, April 09, 2017, 06:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

I've owned this farm in eastern CT since 2001. When I first moved here there were Winter flocks of 70 to 80 birds. The last 2 years things have changed drastically. This year it is depressing. I have not herd but only a few gobbles so far. I know this year is a late bloomer but something is wrong with the turkey population. Where is the great NWTF? I'm done with them? In CT you can harvest 5 birds. What are they thinking? I have a camp in-upstate NY and it's crapping out there also pretty quickly. I can't find any dead birds around from Winter. Just really concerned. Should the states begin a restocking program? Or should they burry there heads in the sand a little deeper. The NWTF used to be for turkeys now they are a bunch of useless celebrities, wasting all the funds on a bunch of useless crap. Maybe we need another organization that really give a crap about this sport and the millions of dollars us turkey hunters spend yearly. I'm pissed!
live to hunt hunt to live

LaLongbeard

The NWTF can only do so much it is your state wildlife dept. that should get the hate mail. Louisiana had/has a pitiful turkey program it is a testament to the bird himself that he survives, but La turkey problems are not caused by the NWTF and neither are yours. They have done a tremendous amount of work in a lot of states.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

spaightlabs

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 09, 2017, 08:09:58 AM
The NWTF can only do so much it is your state wildlife dept. that should get the hate mail. Louisiana had/has a pitiful turkey program it is a testament to the bird himself that he survives, but La turkey problems are not caused by the NWTF and neither are yours. They have done a tremendous amount of work in a lot of states.

This.  To think that the NWTF is responsible for your state's seasons and limits is nuts.

I guess I would ask what you are doing to get involved?  Are you on an NWTF committee or involved at any level?  Have you spoken to anyone at your site fish and game department regarding your concerns? 

What are you doing on your farm to improve the situation?  Have you spoken to any of your neighbors about doing more to improve their farms? 

TauntoHawk

The NWTF is not in control or affiliated with each states wildlife department. If the nwtf restored populations 30yrs ago and the state wants to give a 42 bird limit they couldn't do anything

First I'd look at or state and county harvest data, population survey's, recent hatch data. Is it the state? Your area? Or your specific area?

In the "good ol" days did you fill all 5 of your tags?? If so aren't you part of the problem you speak of. You don't have to fill tags if you think it's unwise I could shoot unlimited does in areas around me but I don't because I know better. Not attacking just trying to take a little different look at things

Habitat and landscape changes over time and what was good habitat can become poor habitat.

My uncle's property went for turkey-roma into a waste land. I know it was the changes in habitat in the area though. Timber over matured, nesting habitat diminished, fields were left un tended as farming stopped. Soemthing hit the mast producing trees and acorns were non existent for a few years and still aren't good. I have started habitat work to bring it back but that's a slow grind.

Just something to spur thought and conversation. Maybe your state is mismanaged and shot up. I travel for most of my turkey hunting

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkaholic

I manage my 150 acre farm very intensely. We have very productive hay fields mixed with hardwoods and some very good nesting areas. Deer are here in good numbers. I could do more predator control but have removed 5 coyotes this fall and winter. I have spoken with the states turkey biologist and he agrees with me on the fact of a 5 bird limit being crazy. He also tried to tell me that Fishers are not a problem,yet I've had them come in to the call,and not leave. As far as NWTF I've been a member on and off for 20 some odd years paying dues and not getting much in return. I have been to the banquets and I just don't feel like it accomplishes a lot. It's just for show and to make people feel like their making a  differance. There is a need to continue with trap and transfer programs. Maybe they need to trap the suburban birds that seem to be in good numbers around all the cities and towns and are a nuisance to suburbanites. I do the best I can to keep my land wonderful for all wildlife that lives on it. I just don't understand why it has changed so fast. I am not nuts, and don't think the NFTW is responsible for the loss of turkeys, but only wish they gave a dam.
live to hunt hunt to live

Strick9

I have been studying and researching wildlife for near 37 years. I can rarely name a wildlife agency be it state or federal that has gotten anything right done in the last ten years.

I have formed up a group to hopefully unify hunters so that we can pool our voices together and direct the shout in proffesional form right into the responsible agencies.

The Group is centered on the SE portion of the country but we would be happy to help or join in with any cause that supports sound wildlife management techiniques and law making.

Its truly time that these agencies full on realized that not do only does the Eastern Wild Turkey hold a large portion of hunter generated dollars but is also a highly integral part of hunting heritage.

I know that if we don't assimilate soon it spells trouble. The Bobwhite Quail should be the only example we need.

Feel free to look us up here and join yourself and share with your friends.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/150085468852259/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

thunderbirder

I'll do my part and kill as many coyotes and egg-snatchers as I can.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

TRG3

Usually it's habitat, predators, or a combination of both. I recently got permission to turkey hunt on about 100 acres of ground. At the time it supported 20 acres of hardwoods and 10 acres of tall grass/briars/thicket, perfect for turkey nesting. In the last month, all of the thicket area has been cleared off in preparation for planting as per a new farm manager. There are no other suitable nesting sites within a half-mile of this place, so needless to say, the turkeys will probably seek more favorable nesting habitat and move out of the area. In my area, habitat is the number one predictor of the presence of turkeys and modern farming practices are rapidly reducing these places.

ilbucksndux

I see the NWTF doing more here than any other organizations......namely DU. You would be surprised at what a little predator control will do. I have aggressively been trapping on near by public land and can see visible differences after clearing out several possums,skunks,coons and coyotes

Gary Bartlow

Ihuntoldschool

Tomfoolery

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 09, 2017, 06:51:22 PM
I see the NWTF doing more here than any other organizations......namely DU. You would be surprised at what a little predator control will do. I have aggressively been trapping on near by public land and can see visible differences after clearing out several possums,skunks,coons and coyotes

How does one go about removing a skunk? Serious question.

VaBoy

Do what you can to remove predators. 5 coyotes helps but they will be replaced by end of summer and honestly coyotes do relatively little harm in turkey losses. Go after the egg eaters. People love to blame the big animals but the real culprits are the coons , skunks and possums that destroy the nest and eat the eggs. Trap or have someone trap as many as you can and I assure you there will be a difference. Good luck... 

bghunter777

Quote from: turkaholic on April 09, 2017, 11:47:15 AM
I manage my 150 acre farm very intensely. We have very productive hay fields mixed with hardwoods and some very good nesting areas. Deer are here in good numbers. I could do more predator control but have removed 5 coyotes this fall and winter. I have spoken with the states turkey biologist and he agrees with me on the fact of a 5 bird limit being crazy. He also tried to tell me that Fishers are not a problem,yet I've had them come in to the call,and not leave. As far as NWTF I've been a member on and off for 20 some odd years paying dues and not getting much in return. I have been to the banquets and I just don't feel like it accomplishes a lot. It's just for show and to make people feel like their making a  differance. There is a need to continue with trap and transfer programs. Maybe they need to trap the suburban birds that seem to be in good numbers around all the cities and towns and are a nuisance to suburbanites. I do the best I can to keep my land wonderful for all wildlife that lives on it. I just don't understand why it has changed so fast. I am not nuts, and don't think the NFTW is responsible for the loss of turkeys, but only wish they gave a dam.

Turkeys are cyclical they will be back if you keep the habitat quality in place.

Marc

The vast majority of the issue is likely habitat.

Hunting pressure has a small impact on game bird populations.  Certainly excessive hunting pressure can have a negative impact, and can move birds out of an area though.

Habitat is decreasing with improved farming methods and more areas being cleared to hunt.  CRP areas are shrinking drastically, and pesticides and other chemicals likely play some role as well.

I do think in some areas, that the vastly shrinking CRP areas will take a major toll on many game populations.  This link is from a few years ago, but I do think that the trend is alarming.

http://www.agprofessional.com/news/Future-changes-in-the-Conservation-Reserve-Program-223664611.html

150 acres is simply not enough area to support any type of healthy population.  If the surrounding neighbors are clearing more land or improving farming methods (and area), this will likely have a huge impact in the turkeys you see on your ranch.

We want to see more game, hunters are going to have to band together with different conservation groups working together to improve the habitat situation...  A growing human population with greater demands, and no financial incentive for maintaining habitat...  We will only continue to see said habitat areas shrinking in size.

And, many hunting conservation groups end up spending money on fighting non-hunting conservation groups for hunting rights (my assumption is some degree of money is spent on both sides for litigation and lobbying).  If these groups could agree on a common goal, it seems that the outcome would benefit both sides...  Unfortunately, this will not likely happen in my lifetime.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MickT

Haying is on of the hardest farming practices on wildlife. We let a field grow up to the point that turkeys, quail, deer, and rabbits can use it for cover, the come through and mow down all the cover, chopping up young and nests along the way. I understand that some hay is necessary, but around here, everyone usually ends up burning leftover bales every year then cuts as much or more the next year. Grazing can actually be managed to benefit turkeys, but the disk mower doesn't discriminate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk