OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which choke for federal heavyweight #7 in a 20ga

Started by Browning4140, April 04, 2017, 10:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Looking to set up a 870 20ga with a 21"bbl. Which choke would you recommend to get all the goodie out of this load out to 40yds? My current set up with this gun is a hevi-13 choke shooting magblends but after everything I have read on here it's looking like the federal #7 is the way to go. Thanks

Philippe

A factory Remington extended super full if you can find one. Its hands down the best choke I have found for the rem 870 20ga and the federal shells.

Ridge Rooster

Sumtoy. My youth model 11-87 put 188 in the 10 @ 40 the other day. I used a Carlson .575 last year and put around 140 which was good also. I have started using TSS and a Remington Super Full (lead only) does really well with it but I have not tried the Federals through it.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

foxred1962

I had the same gun and had good results using both the carlsons 575 and primos tightwad for magblends and federal heavyweight 6&7 shot. I don't believe 40 yds is a problem for either load/choke combo. After being a Hevi user for the last 10 years I am trying the federals in my SBE ii just to see what happens they should be in Thursday to pattern. I may have made a mistake by ordering some of the 3.5 #6 though.... we will see. Best of luck this season.

Here is what has made me look to switch... hopefully the 6's will kill a gobbler or coyote out to 40... I have rolled a bunch of coyotes with lead and hevi and killed turkeys without issue but when Randy wake man says that the 6's penetrated like lead 2's and had the pellet count of lead 5's I want to give them a try.

http://www.randywakeman.com/TheReasonforFederalHeavyweight6forTurkey.htm

Hevi #7
pellets per ounce: 275
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 163.4

lead #6
pellets per ounce: 224
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 166.4

lead #5
pellets per ounce: 173
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 198.8

Hevi #6
pellets per ounce: 206
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 198.8

lead #4
pellets per ounce: 136
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 232.7

Hevi #5
pellets per ounce: 159
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 236

TSS #9
pellets per ounce: 360
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 236

Heavyweight #7
pellets per ounce: 220
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 254.4

Hevi #4
pellets per ounce: 125
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 274.6

TSS #8
pellets per ounce: 250
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 293.3

Heavyweight #6
pellets per ounce: 165
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 303.8

Heavyweight #5
pellets per ounce: 127
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 355.1

TSS #7
pellets per ounce: 183
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 355.1 "

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Browning4140 on April 04, 2017, 10:57:12 PM
Looking to set up a 870 20ga with a 21"bbl. Which choke would you recommend to get all the goodie out of this load out to 40yds? My current set up with this gun is a hevi-13 choke shooting magblends but after everything I have read on here it's looking like the federal #7 is the way to go. Thanks
I've been doing a lot of work with short barrelled 20 gauge guns like yours. Prior to investing in another choke tube, you have a good one, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and give the choke you have an opportunity with the Federal #7 Heavyweight shot shells.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Wire brush the barrel then run something to get all the oil out. (I run denatured alcohol)    Then go shoot a junk shell (bird shot)  at 50 ft to check poa/poi.  Then test a federal at 40.  Now the lot number deal has came back up with federal so if it has a (v or u) don't go crazy.  Then if not happy give me a call we figure out a choke for you.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BDeal

I tried several chokes with my son's 870 youth and Fed Heavyweight #7's:

Remington Super Full Hevi-Rated
Carlson's .575 Extended
Tightwad

The Remington was the clear winner with the Carlson being second. The tightwad was horrible.

TauntoHawk

Carlson I feel is just right, tight enough for 40 but not too tight for 20
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

shedhunta

Quote from: SumToy on April 05, 2017, 08:27:52 AM
Wire brush the barrel then run something to get all the oil out. (I run denatured alcohol)    Then go shoot a junk shell (bird shot)  at 50 ft to check poa/poi.  Then test a federal at 40.  No the lot number deal has came back up with federal so if it has a (v or u) don't go crazy.  Then if not happy give me a call we figure out a choke for you.

So are the V or U lot numbers good or bad batches???

sswv

tried several chokes in my 20ga youth 870 21" barrel. best performance so far with Federal Heavyweight #7's are with a Trulok heavyweight #7 choke. getting 175-180 in the 10" circle consistently at 40yds.

Longshanks