Started by MK M GOBL, April 03, 2017, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

mgm1955

C.Kimzey95

Now that's a pretty bird right there!

eorlando

Awesome!!!! Here is the one I killed in Florida. It was the first bird I had ever killed. I didn't know how special it was at the time.

Silver Phase Turkey by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7164 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7163 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 03, 2017, 08:16:13 PM
Take a look at him!!

MK M GOBL
Nice, don't have room for a mounted turkey but would find room if got something them

Sixes

Best of luck!  That would be one special kill

guesswho

Does DSD make a smoke phase decoy?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

870FaceLift

Quote from: guesswho on April 04, 2017, 11:47:18 AM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

To the OP: Good luck - that's really something!
Pass it on...

vt35mag

Wow, both the live one and stuffed one look awesome!

HawkeyeGobbler

Quote from: guesswho on April 04, 2017, 11:47:18 AM

They might. I don't think the one I saw was a DSD but at a local retailer a while back they had a smoke hen, pretty sure it was some other brand. Weird looking IMO.

Someone around here thought they shot one a year or 2 ago, I was excited thinking maybe their genetics were around. Turns out it was some kind of heritage breed called a Royal Palm I believe. Straight up domestic  :-\

MK M GOBL

Quote from: HawkeyeGobbler on April 04, 2017, 01:58:33 PM

Someone around here thought they shot one a year or 2 ago, I was excited thinking maybe their genetics were around. Turns out it was some kind of heritage breed called a Royal Palm I believe. Straight up domestic  :-\

Well our domesticated fowl were derived from wild fowl. So in the genetic makeup of our wild bird is the genes to these color aberrations. So let's say your pretty old timey and back in the day you seen on of these "Smokey" birds and were able to trap it. You may have bred it with another bird and she had mixed "Smokeys" in her offspring. Now you may have used several toms with that same Smokey Hen and she would have another Smokey in her offspring. Then over some time you would use these off-spring Smokeys and let them breed and once you had a basis of the correct genes you would be now producing Smokeys on a regular basis (Line Breeding:  the selective breeding of animals for a desired feature by mating them within a closely related line.) Now you have what is know as the domesticated Royal Palm Turkey. This goes for many species/domesticated animals...

We raised a lot of birds on the farm and you could bred for certain traits, just like with dogs, cattle and so on...

MK M GOBL

turkeywhisperer935

I believe it's mad calls that makes the smoke phase decoy and it's called the smokey baby.

Double B

Love the smoke phase birds.  I have only seen one smokey gobbler in the wild but see some smoke phase hens on occasion.  Good luck, I'd say he's in danger if you are on him!   Big taxidermy bill could be coming your way!!!
Followed by buzzards

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

nsselle

Were you hunting?  or did you spot him from the road or scouting?