OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weekend reports  (Read 7207 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Weekend reports
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »
Well around these parts, last weekend started out beautiful and still Saturday morning and by Sunday evening we had tornadoes. Typical. I can't get to the woods right now, but I still recognize the weather that jerks gobbles out of turkeys even when they don't much want to.

What did last weekend look and sound like to you fellers?

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Weekend reports
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
North Texas opener was Saturday.  I went out to a new property I leased this year to hunt.  Birds gobbled good on the roost, but shut up when they hit the ground.  Had turkeys around me all day.  Had a dominate bird within 50 yards, but just never could get a good clean shot on him.  Had a long beard come in silent that afternoon, but he never would come in.  Guessing he didn't like the jake decoy thinking it was a tom.  Had 3 hens and a jake come in later and lay down 10 yards from me for 1.5 hours when a cold front blew in.  Sunday morning was wet and cold.  I went out just to learn the property a little more, but very few birds gobbling and nothing on our side of the fence.  Left when the rain set in.  Tons and tons of birds on this new place.  If it ever gets right, I should fill my 4 tags no problem.  Was good to finally get out, hear, and see some birds.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Spotty here in NE Missouri. Out scouting for next weekends youth hunt and regular season on 4/17. Some farms there is sparse roost gobbling and another farm we had 5 birds all grouped up gobbling like crazy at noon. Could get real interesting next weekend for the boys..........

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Had to work Saturday, sunday nothing sounded off at daylight, called up a coyote around 10:00
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »
I couldn't go this weekend, but went this morning and heard my first bird gobble in central AL this season. 6th day in woods, new record for futility. Got him within 200 yards then watched a hen stroll past me 100 yards to my left headed right to him, last gobble I heard. I am encouraged by at least making verbal contact with a bird at this point. Will keep after them, but have a family wedding to attend this weekend so may be next week before I can play with him again considering the rough weather predictions for this area the next couple of days. Keep after them guys! More states opening up give us a chance to start making a run. Good luck to all.

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
I am a mid week hunter but it was quiet mid week too.

My friend had heard one gobbling off the property but above one of our food plots that border a hardwood ridge.

I camped out there and spent all morning being patient and calling softly with no luck. Mid day I walked the firebreak around the whole property calling every 100 yards or so and just sitting in a few good spots with some visibility. No Joy!

Late afternoon I went to the swamp where the hardwoods end, I have seen turkeys roost there several times but not that day.

I see droppings and leaves are raked up in a lot of places. I am going to put a camera up next time just to see if a turkey passes through.

I ordered a turkey lounger chair. It was either that or a new butt.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »
Was out scouting here in MN Saturday and Sunday mornings.Had 3 different birds sounding off at one place Saturday but I didn't here anything in a different spot Sunday. My boy was with Sunday and we split up on one larger piece and he heard 2 birds gobble a total of 5 times between them while on the roost. Nothing after they hit the ground. Saw 16 hens in one bunch with no gobblers with them around 10:00 am Sunday. It's still a bit early up here.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
The winter flocks around here have finally broken up.  Seeing smaller groups and cruising gobblers.  Still 3 weeks away........

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
The winter flocks around here have finally broken up.  Seeing smaller groups and cruising gobblers.  Still 3 weeks away........
Came within a few feet of tagging a cruising longbeard this morning.  With my GMC Sierr@ .  But being the good driver I am, I yield to all pedestrians. Just wish they would use the crosswalks.  And I don't kill gobblers out of season.  :icon_thumright:

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Birds were just hammering up here this morning! One would sound off and 2 or 3 more would hammer right back! MN season opens this Wed. and I will have the grandson out for a couple of hours on opener. A little hooky for him from school. My season here in MN. won't start until May 3.  These 7 day seasons here in MN "stink"!!! I have a few better choice words on this, but my post would most likely be deleted!

Offline mason3toes

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
Got #3 boys. He's worthy, pics tonight.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
Now THAT is a weekend report I can go for.

Congratulations and can't wait to see him.

Cheers.  :icon_thumright:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
Congrats Mason, I have been hearing them every day got one to 60 yards yesterday, this morning walked under them still in tree at 6:50

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
It's all quiet down here. It's been a rough season so far. Plus the plant where I work shut down last week so I'm working 12.5hr midnights until we can get back online.  Hoping things will change around here soon. I'm about to go crazy. Lol

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »
Atta boy. I'm thinking this will break the ice and we will be seeing lotsa heads getting hammered.