OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey fan(reaping)

Started by Turkeyjerky, March 31, 2017, 03:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

For a lot of us, it has nothing to do with how we "feel" about it.
It is about how we "learned" to hunt them.

For some of us older guys there was no such thing back when we started. It was not a personal opinion, it just did not exist as a mainstream tactic. Heck, when I started turkey, hunting mouth calls were just really getting started en mass. There was no store to go to peruse the wide selection of diaphragm callers you see today. No loungers, no therma-cells, no pop up blinds.....nothing.

To me it is not about my opinion, although I do have one.....it was about me learning to do it without these items. I simply do not need them to kill turkeys....bunches of turkeys.

rockymtngobblers

I thought I could never hunt like that but now I  want to try it, I  would only do it after I  shot mine by calling it in then I'd  use a fan and try it but without killing the bird.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

beagler

Stalking is illegal here in PA, not to mention a good way to get shot.
Never Misses

guesswho

At least a decoy would make a good pillow or seat cushion.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 01, 2017, 10:01:38 AM
The thing that amuses me about these reaping/fanning discussion threads is that they will be right next to threads regarding what are the best decoys to use.  Yet, seldom does anyone proclaim in those discussions that using decoys is unfair to the turkeys. 

Why do hunters use decoys?  It is to bring turkeys in close enough to the hunter to be shot.  It all comes down to using visual aids to fool turkeys into coming closer to the hunter. 

Why have we come to accept the use of hen/jake/strutter decoys in turkey hunting, but turn right around and condemn someone for using those very same visual tools in another manner?   Frankly, it just doesn't make sense to me,...and to clarify, I am not a "reaper" trying to defend myself. 

If you want to condemn "visual aids", then condemn them all,...and let's get rid of decoy use in turkey hunting altogether.  If not, then we need to accept the fact that some folks are going to use them in manner that does not fit into our own personal ideologies of what is acceptable in turkey hunting.  That does not make them wrong and us right.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

snapper1982

Quote from: beagler on April 01, 2017, 02:42:24 PM

More people get shot using calls or walking than do/have by reaping so if that is your reasoning then you have the wrong hobby.

High plains drifter

Quote from: Bowguy on April 01, 2017, 10:29:11 AM
The thing that amuses me about these reaping/fanning discussion threads is that they will be right next to threads regarding what are the best decoys to use.  Yet, seldom does anyone proclaim in those discussions that using decoys is unfair to the turkeys. 

Why do hunters use decoys?  It is to bring turkeys in close enough to the hunter to be shot.  It all comes down to using visual aids to fool turkeys into coming closer to the hunter. 

Why have we come to accept the use of hen/jake/strutter decoys in turkey hunting, but turn right around and condemn someone for using those very same visual tools in another manner?   Frankly, it just doesn't make sense to me,...and to clarify, I am not a "reaper" trying to defend myself. 

If you want to condemn "visual aids", then condemn them all,...and let's get rid of decoy use in turkey hunting altogether.  If not, then we need to accept the fact that some folks are going to use them in manner that does not fit into our own personal ideologies of what is acceptable in turkey hunting.  That does not make them wrong and us right.
I understand your view about the fairness/unfairness factor. Not gonna discuss that but being turkey hunting is one of the more dangerous hunt sports why would anyone camouflage themselves so they can't be seen than put a turkey right next to their brain pan? Makes no sense. Darwinism can help!
In Montana, there are lots of illegal scum, driving around with 22's, looking to poach turkeys from the Road, by shooting from inside of vehicles. These idiots are out there, and I wouldn't want to be out in a field, with a fan.

Tomfoolery

Ive never fanned a turkey but if the situation is right i would love to. Turkey hunting is all about the adrenaline rush. And to me there would be no greater rish than having a strutter comin running at u within feet. Anyone who uses a gobbler decoy and in turn frowns against fanning is a hypocrite in my opinion.

Marc

As far as reaping/fanning, I do not know enough about it to really comment on the ethics of it...  How much skill does it require, and how often is it successful?

But, if a means or method is overly successful, I would say we need to visit the idea of whether or not it should be legal to use said method...

When spinning wing duck decoys first came out, they were extremely effective...  To the point that many hunters wanted them banned.  Some states succeeded, some did not.  Luckily, waterfowl are migratory, and as they migrate down, they seem to learn rather quickly to avoid these things (that was not the case the first couple years in use though).

Obviously, we all have our own personal ethics as to how we enjoy, and how we feel game should be hunted...  But, at some point just cause it is legal does not make it right...  I think all of us here would agree that shooting a bird out of a morning roost would simply be wrong (whether legal or not)...  I put electronic decoys in a similar category.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 01, 2017, 05:04:55 PM

More people get shot using calls or walking than do/have by reaping so if that is your reasoning then you have the wrong hobby.
That's a half truth, yes more ppl get shot calling but that's more driven due to the simple fact vastly more people are calling far more time afield than reaping not that it's inharently a more risky endeavor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

So from someone who does at times use decoys, the only reasoning I see the difference I see between the "reaping" tactic and decoying is the "Safety" aspect. Now that is coming from me as a Hunter's Ed Instructor. I could never imagine taking a "Target" placing it in front of my head or chest and sneaking in to a situation where one could be shot. Now not to say people don't sneak up on decoys, just as people will sneak up on a "Call"... all hunting situations carry some risk with them and some "Hunter's" do not follow the 4 Rules of Firearm Safety. But IMO there is inherently more risk involved in the reaping tactic than other forms of turkey hunting, just like the old rule of not wearing or having anything red, white or blue on you while turkey hunting. Now down to the store we sell a number of these reaping decoys and even though I use DSD decoys which have amazing detail and likeness, Now I would never crawl through a field with a "decoy" in front of me.

I also see some difference between what I know as "Fanning" and "Reaping"... Fanning is the tactic where you hold up a fan from your calling position and show a bird the fan without moving towards the bird. Reaping is the tactic to where you move in on a bird with a fan/decoy and close the distance between you and the bird until the point you shoot.

MK M GOBL

mudhen

I want a pop-up blind shaped like a giant fan...big enough for lots of women & children to fit inside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Player

Quote from: mudhen on April 02, 2017, 02:53:56 AM
I want a pop-up blind shaped like a giant fan...big enough for lots of women & children to fit inside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote

Gave me an idea. Beach umbrella painted like a turkey tail mounted on the front of my 4 wheeler! I could just ride up and grab 'em by the neck. Don't need no stinking shotgun!  :toothy9:

snapper1982

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 01, 2017, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: snapper1982 on April 01, 2017, 05:04:55 PM

That's a half truth, yes more ppl get shot calling but that's more driven due to the simple fact vastly more people are calling far more time afield than reaping not that it's inharently a more risky endeavor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not a half truth at all. It is facts. What you state is also fact that there is more people calling but if there are that many idiots that will shoot someone walking or calling then those same idiots would shoot a reaper right. Yet even though people keep saying it is more dangerous it has not resulted in an increase in shootings.

Cutt

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2017, 06:13:13 AM
Im old school and that will never be an option for me personally.  Its about like killing one over a feeder or walking up on one in a logging road and shooting it. I dont want to kill them that bad. I turkey hunt because i like playing the game with them. If I fool him and call him up , I will shoot him, any other way he wins and we do battle again another day. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I would personally like to see it outlawed everywhere, just not very sporting. As you stated like walking up on one in a logging road and shooting it, my guess is many hunters of today would shoot? Not that it's illegal, but it's these type of hunters who just don't understand what turkey hunting is about, where the kill is more important to them.