turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey fan(reaping)

Started by Turkeyjerky, March 31, 2017, 03:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyjerky

I was watching the hunting channel yesterday trying to get a fix because I haven't been able to get to the woods in a while. Turkey hunting show came on, can't remember the name but it was a real tree show with Michael Waddell. Almost every hunt they showed they were hiding behind a turkey fan and going to the turkeys. I've never done it and honestly don't plan on it. But here's my question. Is it really that popular or is it just a product pitch? I only know one person who's ever even attempted it.

stinkpickle

It's getting pretty popular.  It looks rough on the ol' knees, though.

High plains drifter

Yeah I've watched it on tv, it's pretty crazy.I might try it, when there out in the open, and won't move.

TRG3

It looks like a young man's game. It just goes to show what I've always said about turkeys...that they are not very smart...but they are very, very wary and don't hang around if they sense something is not right. Why they don't figure out reaping is a mystery to me, just like why they don't seem to mind a pop-up blind set up in the middle of a wide-open field while deer would spook immediately. Just another example of knowing the animals that your are hunting.

spaightlabs

It works, it's a rush the first time, then it's just an easy way to kill a turkey.  Not a lot of challenge to it, kinda like hunting over a feeder.

dirt road ninja

I've done it a few time now with mixed results. Belly crawling is tough, but it is exciting when they charge you. All in all, it's like anything else - sometimes it works other times it doesn't. If you never tried it and have an area where you feel safe doing it, give it a try, if you decide it's not for you don't shoot. Either way I guarantee your heart rate will rise. 

surehuntsalot

a good way to catch a rifle bullet
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Player

MKMGOBL

Not for me and not for anyone of the people I hunt with. I think it's popular because it easy and that it doesn't require any kind of game plan. Just grab a fan and crawl straight to them or let them run to you.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

chatterbox

Spitten and drummen

Im old school and that will never be an option for me personally.  Its about like killing one over a feeder or walking up on one in a logging road and shooting it. I dont want to kill them that bad. I turkey hunt because i like playing the game with them. If I fool him and call him up , I will shoot him, any other way he wins and we do battle again another day. Just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

GobbleNut

The thing that amuses me about these reaping/fanning discussion threads is that they will be right next to threads regarding what are the best decoys to use.  Yet, seldom does anyone proclaim in those discussions that using decoys is unfair to the turkeys. 

Why do hunters use decoys?  It is to bring turkeys in close enough to the hunter to be shot.  It all comes down to using visual aids to fool turkeys into coming closer to the hunter. 

Why have we come to accept the use of hen/jake/strutter decoys in turkey hunting, but turn right around and condemn someone for using those very same visual tools in another manner?   Frankly, it just doesn't make sense to me,...and to clarify, I am not a "reaper" trying to defend myself. 

If you want to condemn "visual aids", then condemn them all,...and let's get rid of decoy use in turkey hunting altogether.  If not, then we need to accept the fact that some folks are going to use them in manner that does not fit into our own personal ideologies of what is acceptable in turkey hunting.  That does not make them wrong and us right. 

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 01, 2017, 10:01:38 AM
The thing that amuses me about these reaping/fanning discussion threads is that they will be right next to threads regarding what are the best decoys to use.  Yet, seldom does anyone proclaim in those discussions that using decoys is unfair to the turkeys. 

Why do hunters use decoys?  It is to bring turkeys in close enough to the hunter to be shot.  It all comes down to using visual aids to fool turkeys into coming closer to the hunter. 

Why have we come to accept the use of hen/jake/strutter decoys in turkey hunting, but turn right around and condemn someone for using those very same visual tools in another manner?   Frankly, it just doesn't make sense to me,...and to clarify, I am not a "reaper" trying to defend myself. 

If you want to condemn "visual aids", then condemn them all,...and let's get rid of decoy use in turkey hunting altogether.  If not, then we need to accept the fact that some folks are going to use them in manner that does not fit into our own personal ideologies of what is acceptable in turkey hunting.  That does not make them wrong and us right.
I understand your view about the fairness/unfairness factor. Not gonna discuss that but being turkey hunting is one of the more dangerous hunt sports why would anyone camouflage themselves so they can't be seen than put a turkey right next to their brain pan? Makes no sense. Darwinism can help!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2017, 06:13:13 AM
Im old school and that will never be an option for me personally.  Its about like killing one over a feeder or walking up on one in a logging road and shooting it. I dont want to kill them that bad. I turkey hunt because i like playing the game with them. If I fool him and call him up , I will shoot him, any other way he wins and we do battle again another day. Just my 2 cents.

:agreed: :agreed:

TauntoHawk

This reaping stuff comes up about every other week.

I'll put it this way, I'd you aren't much for calling, and aren't much for sitting over decoys and don't mind the added safety risk it's a very effective method at killing birds.

Where legal it's up to the hunter to decide.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>