turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After the turkey is down

Started by 93civEJ1, March 31, 2017, 01:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93civEJ1

Ok, so I have yet to get my first turkey, but hoping to change that this season. I dont plan to really do the whole mounting thing etc, but maybe beard / tail....with that said, I like to eat what I take.

What is the best process? I will be hunting close to home, but in the case I get one, what do I need to do after getting one? Is there a certain way to dress it? I see videos where some people just rip out the breasts...others pluck feathers and leave skin etc.

I would love to maybe make some fried nuggest out of them, or heck maybe even smoke or deep fry one.

What process do I need to do, and does anyone have any simple instructions for the different methods of prepping that anyone can do it? If so, please point me to them.

Thanks!!!!

stinkpickle

You have lots of options, but the quickest and easiest is to skin it and cut off all the meat you want to keep.  It only takes a few minutes, and you don't have to mess with gutting or plucking.  Of course, if you want to keep it whole, that's a different story...

93civEJ1

do you get more meat one way or the other??

stinkpickle

Quote from: 93civEJ1 on March 31, 2017, 01:32:23 PM
do you get more meat one way or the other??

It depends on how well you cut it.  You can cut it up before you cook it or afterwards.  I prefer before, because it's a lot easier to store.  ;)

Ericbrooks

Save yourself a lot of time a disappointment and just take the breast. The rest isn't that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

I skin them and breast them out.  If I liked soup (I don't) I would save some more meat for soup-I have saved some for folks. 

CUE:  Some "oldschool" hunter telling us we are wasting the giblets.   ::)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

rbreedi1

Most people just cut the breasts out.. The rest of the meat is pretty tough but good if you want to slow cook and pull the meat and make some BBQ sandwhiches!
Thunder Ridge Totes

J.D. Shellnut

When I first started turkey hunting I had a hard time throwing the legs away. But now I just cut the breast out. Unless somebody ask for the legs. It just wasn't worth it to save them to me, and the ones I saved ruined in the freezer.
60% of the time it works every time!

93civEJ1

i love turkey legs and eat them many times at thanksgiving or at fairs etc. Is the meat different from the wild turkey vs the turkey legs I eat from a fair or thanksgiving??

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

If you are not mounting the whole bird hang him up by his feet. Take your time and skin him out. There is a lot of meat to be had. Especially if you like turkey burger. Give the turkey the respect he deserves.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

rbreedi1

Quote from: 93civEJ1 on March 31, 2017, 01:52:57 PM
i love turkey legs and eat them many times at thanksgiving or at fairs etc. Is the meat different from the wild turkey vs the turkey legs I eat from a fair or thanksgiving??

yes, night and day!
Thunder Ridge Totes

Ericbrooks

If you are expecting wild turkey to taste like domestic turkey, you are in for a letdown.

dublelung

I hang from the feet and get the breast meat first. I also save the thighs but the legs are just too tough to deal with. Cut the breast into nuggets and deep fry. The thighs are best slow cooked or made into turkey salad sandwiches.

tha bugman

dont throw away the legs!  they make awesome bbq

catman529

Quote from: Ericbrooks on March 31, 2017, 01:40:46 PM
Save yourself a lot of time a disappointment and just take the breast. The rest isn't that great.

I disagree, you can make some great pulled BBQ sandwiches with the legs and thighs. The whole bird roasted or smoked is good too.