OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rhino G2

Started by Ozarks Hillbilly, March 30, 2017, 08:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarks Hillbilly

Has anyone noticed scored marks on the inside of their Rhino G2 choke tube after shooting HTL shot through it. This is the second year of owning tube it has less than 25 rounds shot through it. I did a little shooting and after cleaning it the other day I looked through it after cleaning it. It has several deep score marks in that you can feel with your finger. I wondered if anyone else has ran across this?

Old Gobbler

What load are you shooting thru the choke
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Ozarks Hillbilly

Nitro H321A straight 6's and 7's and some Remington 2 3/4 6's to get poi close.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Not sure how well you can see what I am talking about

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

agent eight seven O

Looks like plastic build up. Try cleaning it with Hoppes or just with your finger. Should be fine.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I was cleaning choke when I noticed score marks. The ports are a little dinged up also. I will scrub on it some more and see what I get. I have a few Rhino G1's that have several more rounds ran through them they still look like a mirror inside.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Okay I wore out a new brush scrubbing it with Hoppe's #9. The last time I was using bore tech shotgun blend. Score marks are still there. The are only in the skirt from about were the external threads stop up to the end of the skirt. Assuming starting point of score mark is approximately the starting point of the constriction taper. Of course the skirt is the thinnest material and weaker structure but I wouldn't think softer from a hardness standpoint. All of that to say that score marks are still there and assume that the HTL shot is harder than the steel in the choke tube.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Old Gobbler

Take some pics of it outside in good lighting

-Shannon

Ozarks Hillbilly

Shannon not sure if these are any better

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Borat

Just call Rhino. I've never had any problems getting in touch with Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

I could be mistaken but I think Joe told me to not use HTL... :popcorn:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ozarks Hillbilly

I will reach out to them. I don't think they would put hevi-shot logo on their package if they weren't designed to shoot it. I know that Nitro uses the next step up in density from Hevi-Shot that maybe the difference. I am not a balistics engineer but I assume some of the shot pellets must out run the wad leaving the barrel or must have in this case.

TheSportsman

Joe is all about Nitros. That's what he wanted me to shoot  :OGturkeyhead:

Old Gobbler

That pic is hard to make out , looks like plastic buildup buy it's hard to tell

-Shannon

Borden811

I'd venture to say it's not plastic, it's scores from the htl shot. I've got a few chokes that look the same. Definite marks, not plastic buildup. It's never effected the performance of any of the chokes I've had it happen to.