turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No spurs and odd color feathers?

Started by SFCSNOW, March 26, 2017, 06:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFCSNOW

Pics of the legs didn't turn out well.  I'll take a few later.  Took this bird today in central MS.  No sign of spurs.  Not even bumps on the legs.  He had several black wing feathers.  Looks almost like buzzard wing feathers.  Think he may be a buzzurkey?  Gobbled 40-50 times during the few hours I worked him.  Sported almost a 10" beard.   
Any of you ever see anything like it?

cphill

Wife killed one last year that had on spurs like u said not even a bump first one I ever seen

Rzrbac

I've killed a few slick legged birds and know of others being killed in the same area I hunt. Why can't they have a double beard genetic instead? :TooFunny:

Never killed an off colored bird but seen a couple slate/gray looking hens together years ago.

mgm1955

guesswho

Killed a couple over the years like that.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

nice bird, congrats ...trophy bird just because he's different ...

MK M GOBL

Had one I killed in the UP of Michigan, Had him in a contest and he scored 19.25... Bird had no beard and no spurs :) Had a full fan and gobbling coming in.

MK M GOBL

renegade19

Got an area here that has produced several birds with no spurs.  Another area seems to produce birds with double beards.  Guess it's genetics?

Cutt

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 26, 2017, 08:29:52 PM
Had one I killed in the UP of Michigan, Had him in a contest and he scored 19.25... Bird had no beard and no spurs :) Had a full fan and gobbling coming in.

MK M GOBL

Don't they require a beard to be a legal bird there?

Number17

I killed a slick legged longbeard a few years ago myself. Nothing but scales down the back of his legs.
Crazy. Bird only weighed about 15 pounds too.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

SFCSNOW

Quote from: Number17 on March 26, 2017, 10:33:22 PM
I killed a slick legged longbeard a few years ago myself. Nothing but scales down the back of his legs.

This one was small too. Fan is noticeably smaller than any bird I've taken in the past. I was very excited when I noticed his beard was dragging the ground...only because his body and legs were small.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Cutt on March 26, 2017, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 26, 2017, 08:29:52 PM

MK M GOBL

Don't they require a beard to be a legal bird there?

It had a beard base with stubble but no length, and just bumps where spurs should have been, we had talked to local warden because we thought something was wrong with the bird. (first time we had seen this) He said it would have been because of beard rot, he had no problem with it, He did also explain the "Must have a visible beard law"...

Some years later a buddy also killed a bird there with "toenails" that looked like they didn't wear off, toes were all twisted around and feet were lumpy. We sent pictures in and were told it could have been frostbite??

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

I killed one last year with a 9" beard full fan and no sign of spurs..only one I've seen like it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobble!

Quote from: Number17 on March 26, 2017, 10:33:22 PM

First time I read that I thought it said six legged. That would be cool.

Slowshoe

Would be a cool wing to mount. Just like you would a fan.
Swamp Dragons beware.