OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommendation?

Started by Abomb, March 26, 2017, 05:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abomb

Would like to pick up a new shotgun to turkey and duck hunt with. Auto or pump doesn't matter. Any recommendations?

bbcoach

Take a look at the Mossy 835 or 935 Turkey/Duck gun.  This combo comes with a 24" turkey barrel with an Extra Full choke and a 28" duck barrel with 3 chokes.  The 835/935 has over bored barrels and will shoot 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 inch shells.  IMO the Mossy's are one of the best patterning turkey guns available.   

Philippe

Honestly, I would keep them separate if you can. Buy a dedicated turkey rig and a dedicated duck rig. But if you have too, look at the Stoeger M3000 or M3500, they are budget friendly and will work for both incredibly well.

Bowguy

I'd keep em separate too. I like pumps for turks since we often walk a lot n the weight reduction in nice. Duck hunting I use an older M1

Greg Massey

Agree keep them separate , you will want a pump for turkeys and auto for ducks....

Dr Juice

I recommend an auto for each.

SteelerFan

Your budget will have a lot to do with your selection. As others have noted - dedicated guns for each is ideal. If you need to go with just one, a semi with a 26" barrel is a nice compromise. If you go with a 24", that makes a smooth swing a little more difficult AND your buddies in the duck blind aren't gonna like the noise.

For years I carried an M2 with a 26" barrel for everything... turkey to dove, and worked just fine. It's a pretty light gun.

If I were shopping today - I'd look (and handle) a Stoger 3000 for duck -

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411550571/stoeger_m3000_1226_max_5

and a wetherby SA 459 20 ga. for turkey -

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/97304/weatherby_20_22_turkey_mag

That would be 2 dedicated guns for @ $1200 - which is gonna be the price (if not cheaper) than a Benelli or Browning auto.

Remington 11-87 can be had for under $700 also.

Personally, I don't feel the need for a 3.5" gun - but that's me. It's going to be a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge decision as far as favorite brand.

Good luck, have fun shopping!

lowoctane

:morning:
Your budget will dictate, of course, but like has been stated, you can take almost any scattergun and with two barrels with the different chokes that are available nowadays, do what you what asked in your original question. Questions come to my mind about how you turkey hunt though: do ya run and gun, sit stationary, how far do you plan on walking? Weight is a factor and in pumps and autos there are differences there. Gotta remember that all the gear we rooster hunters use adds up when packing your vest. AND, then you have to consider humping out 20lbs or so of dead weight at the end of your hunt! I have opted for minimal weight in everything I use and have paired down my requirements to a certain total weight as I ain't as young as I used to was... :z-twocents:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

houagie

i would keep them separate as well.....i recommend a good auto for duck and a pump action for turkey.....ive tried doing it with just one gun when I started turkey hunting but too many things to switch out every season (sights/chokes) it got to be a big hassle for me, so i finally broke down and bought a pump for turkey. 

Abomb

Thanks guys. I know everyone talks about a pump being lighter but I am carrying an old school 835 that I got before the beginning of this year. And it is the heaviest gun I have ever carried. It's got to be at least 10 pounds

Philippe

Quote from: Abomb on March 28, 2017, 01:51:12 PM
Thanks guys. I know everyone talks about a pump being lighter but I am carrying an old school 835 that I got before the beginning of this year. And it is the heaviest gun I have ever carried. It's got to be at least 10 pounds

Auto guns will be heavier. Even the SA-459 I had was heavier than the 835.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Quote from: Philippe on March 28, 2017, 02:08:05 PM
Quote from: Abomb on March 28, 2017, 01:51:12 PM

Auto guns will be heavier. Even the SA-459 I had was heavier than the 835.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

sswv

we all know how opinions go?   well, here's mine. I own 4 870's and know they're the best most durable pump action shotgun in North America. Anyone can work on them and the upgrade possibilities are endless. I have a first series corn cob 12ga 30" full that my grandpa bought at the company store brand new for around $75.00 and 3 21"ers, 2 12's and a 20ga. Love them all.

WNCTracker

Since you asked about a gun for both, you probably aren't looking for two guns. Have you done a pros cons list...? Like do the things that make for a good duck gun take away from what you want in a turkey gun or can you live with them. Or vice verse. When you settle that debate then you can compare guns on an even level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk