turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hanks Padauk Aluminum conditioning?

Started by Coop1082, March 24, 2017, 10:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

Recently asked for opinions for a swap up to my Twisted Sister and decided to go aluminum. Went with the padauk Hank's anodized  aluminum on Midwest turkey for the quick shipping since we are a week into the season here in lower Alabama, and left the wife a hint for a Lonzo acrylic aluminum over aluminum for the birthday  ;). That being said and being my first aluminum, how should I go about conditioning? I've lightly scuffed with scotchbrite, but it seemed to lose it's bite rather quick even with rain chalk on the striker tip. Any tips appreciated!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

mwr

Jbird22

I haven't conditioned mine. I prefer it slick and will use an alcohol pad when needed like MWR said.

Coop1082

I'll give a alcohol pad a shot. Just went with the package directions initially. It came with 240 grit sandpaper and instructed to lightly sand the surface, but I don't like sandpaper on any surface, so I went with a somewhat worn maroon scorchbrite pad to try to be a little less abrasive on the anodized. Even light pressure wore lines in it pretty well.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

That's what scotch brite does. It seems to run out quick. Run that real fine sandpaper in one direction n it'll be a new call. Lowers the resale though

Coop1082

I'll give the sandpaper it's run as well even though it makes me cringe slightly lol...I just ran a alcohol patch across it and let it dry, and I think it had adverse effects. Couldn't hardly get it to run at all. Took the scotchbrite back over it very lightly, and it ran smooth as a whistle for a minute or two until it lost its bite again.
CRUSADERS

[/img]