turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad Luck

Started by surehuntsalot, March 22, 2017, 09:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

Trying to figure out who put all of this bad luck off on me, what kind of spell has been cast or whatever.
I get to the woods this morning not expecting to hear anything and to my surprise 3 different birds start sounding off. All 3 are off of our property, the closest one I guessed to be about 200 yds or so. I didn't think I had a snowball's chance, but it was the only game in town, so I set up with a small hill between me and them (if he came over the hill it would have about a 30-33 yd shot)
I listened to them as they greeted the morning (40-50 gobbles between them), when I could tell the one closest to me was on the ground, I yelped and purred a few times and he answered me, he gobbled around 25 times or so on the ground.
I couldn't never really tell if he was getting closer or not, sometimes he sounded like he was and then it seemed like he wasn't moving much.
He decided to get quite, we played this little game for about 30-45 minutes, I thought he could be coming, and then I told myself, no way.
I turned my head to look to my right and when I turned back to the left there he stood looking for that lonesome hen, 31 yards away (later measured it), he moved behind a couple of pine trees, I raised the shotgun waiting for him to come out from behind the trees, he steps out, I pull the trigger CLICK the shell misfires, does not go off, just a loud click in those quite woods.
He starts putting and acting nervous, starts walking off, I try very slowly to chamber another round in, but he had no part of that.     The shell was a 20ga. 3' Hevishot Magblend
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

xarcher

I wouldn't wish that bad luck on my worst enemy. Sounds like you need to go back and show that rascal that you really didn't intend to let him walk away.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

MickT

Sounds like a great hunt, right up to the trigger pull!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand Man

As Forrest Gump says, "It happens!"  A great hunt isn't always about the kill.  Get out there tomorrow and get it done!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

cramerhunts

Ouch! Sounds like a dang good time though! Good luck on getting him next time.

surehuntsalot

hopefully the rain will hold off some and let me try this weekend
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3bailey3

Bad luck, I can top it all, Wednesday on the way out I stop and made a call and one roared back as soon as I got set up and called again he he was close heard him walking and drumming, at about 15 steps I miss second shot I miss again third shot he is flopping, I run to him and he gets up and starts running, I chase him until I almost die, took me 10 minutes to get my breath back, the next 3 days I have had them in range and been busted by moving my gun to get on them, getting my butt beat bad!

mtns2hunt

Bad Luck? That's just Turkey hunting!  :funnyturkey:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.