turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

7.5 lead

Started by GOOSESLAYER, March 21, 2017, 07:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

my gun patterns 3.5 hevi 7s great. But taking my fiancé on her first ever turkey hunts this year and the 3.5 hevi is just to much punch for her. Put some 7.5 lead through my gun to check poi. and it patterned great. And obviously there was no kick. so was wondering if anyone has ever used the 7.5s for turkey. and what there results were......... She wouldnt be shooting over 30 yards.

Thanks

M Sharpe

That's all Mr. Herb McClure ever used.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

nitro

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 21, 2017, 07:36:02 AM
That's all Mr. Herb McClure ever used.

Perhaps, but all he killed was " Native Turkeys" everyone knows they aren't hard to kill.. :turkey2:
Royal Slam 2008

SFCSNOW

Bottom barrel of my O/U holds 1-1/4oz 7-1/2s.  Shooting them out of a modified choke.  If one gets inside 20 yards or so, I'll switch to this barrel.  I have no doubt they will take em down cleanly 25 or closer. 

BUT, why not 2-3/4 6s?  If she is shooting at game, doubt seriously she will ever remember the gun even going off. The excitement will handle the recoil.  :z-dizzy:

TauntoHawk

what about the hevi reduced recoil loads?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

She'll be fine with 7.5 lead to 30 yards and likely a yard or two farther.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nitro

Back in the dinosaur ages, Federal loaded 3" 12 ga 2oz 7.5 loads... They were WICKED....... I had Mark Bansner build me one of his Predator choked barrels for my old 11-87- choked at .640, it threw a dense, even pattern. Hate i got rid of that gun..
Royal Slam 2008

Dtrkyman

I had my wife shoot reduced recoil hevi shot...but a 7.5 bird load will be fine as far as the pattern holds up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

Quote from: GOOSESLAYER on March 21, 2017, 07:31:31 AM
my gun patterns 3.5 hevi 7s great. But taking my fiancé on her first ever turkey hunts this year and the 3.5 hevi is just to much punch for her. Put some 7.5 lead through my gun to check poi. and it patterned great. And obviously there was no kick. so was wondering if anyone has ever used the 7.5s for turkey. and what there results were......... She wouldnt be shooting over 30 yards.

Thanks

A nice pattern of 7.5 lead at 30 yards or less should be fine, or................
Have her get used to shooting the 7.5 lead. Then when hunting slip in some 3.5 hevi 7's. She won't even notice when shooting at a bird. Guns kick a lot harder when shooting targets. I don't ever remember one kicking me when shooting at a bird. Except for the time when I was younger and shot a lightweight single shot 10 gauge straight up at a crow while squirrel hunting. That one I remember.........LOL
:newmascot:

Bowguy

Quote from: nitro on March 21, 2017, 09:39:05 AM
Back in the dinosaur ages, Federal loaded 3" 12 ga 2oz 7.5 loads... They were WICKED....... I had Mark Bansner build me one of his Predator choked barrels for my old 11-87- choked at .640, it threw a dense, even pattern. Hate i got rid of that gun..
Mark Bansner did some nice shotgun work back in the day

stinkpickle

The old Federal 3-2-7.5 were awesome, and they were definitely NOT limited to 30 yards. ;)   I'm not sure how fast they were, but the shell had a pretty stiff kick to it.

nitro

We could only get them for a few years. " 4 drams of powder" I saved a couple for my collection.

I chronoed them at an average of 1280 -1300 FPS.. They would loosen your teeth and make your eyes water. First time I heard the saying - " kills on one side and stuns on the other " . 
Royal Slam 2008

stinkpickle

Quote from: nitro on March 21, 2017, 10:31:56 AM
We could only get them for a few years. " 4 drams of powder" I saved a couple for my collection.

I chronoed them at an average of 1280 -1300 FPS.. They would loosen your teeth and make your eyes water. First time I heard the saying - " kills on one side and stuns on the other " .

I don't doubt that one bit.  700 pellets flying that fast was like pushing a turkey head through a screen door.

BowBendr

That Federal 7.5 load was all I used while they were available. Bad, bad turkey medicine fer sure !

Gods of Thunder

Gobble!

7.5s at 30 yards no problem.