turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey calls and supplies

Started by Greg Massey, March 16, 2017, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Was in my local Walmart today in Tennessee and all the turkey hunting calls and supplies were Primos. What about your local Walmart ? No other brands of turkey hunting calls.. Shells were mostly Winchester and Remington.

Gooserbat

The best way around this is to shop little.  Meaning the small businesses mom N pops sporting goods stores.  They will appreciate it and if you are wanting to see something on their shelves tell them.  They will be far more likely to stock your preferences if you pass the word along.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkeykiller41

Be glad you got anything at all our walmarts where I live did not get any turkey stuff this year.

wytrat785

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 16, 2017, 11:59:22 PM
The best way around this is to shop little.  Meaning the small businesses mom N pops sporting goods stores.  They will appreciate it and if you are wanting to see something on their shelves tell them.  They will be far more likely to stock your preferences if you pass the word along.

I agree but here the big box stores have pretty much killed off all the mom and pop shops. Here locally we have 4 Walmarts, an Academy Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods. About an hour drive to KC there's a Cabelas, BassPro and Scheels. The last locally owned sporting goods store we had was Rusty's. They went under in the mid to late 1990s not long after Dick's Sporting Goods opened. I prefer to shop local but anymore they are quickly disappearing. Sucks!

Greg Massey

What is a Mom N pops sporting goods store..we have not had one in years...i think you are behind times...would be glad to shop at one...

Gooserbat

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 17, 2017, 12:55:26 AM
What is a Mom N pops sporting goods store..we have not had one in years...i think you are behind times...would be glad to shop at one...

To be honest I'm in them all the time.  Sure big box stores are much more prevalent but as a sales rep I can point you to well over 300 stores just in the four states I work.  Some are multi million dollar storefronts and others are simply a family affair but the point is they are mostly locally owned.  Now if you don't have such a place I get it and by all means shop where you wish. 

Trust me if small business retailers were dead groups like Sports inc, NBS, SHOT, and ATA would be dead but take this into consideration Sports Inc alone has more buying power than Walmart and Academy combined and as a buying group it's completely comprised? by small business.   

I say this: Small business isn't dead but the mindset of shopping there takes effort.

Even Midwest Turkey Call Supply is a small local business that has filled a niche market that would be void without them. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 17, 2017, 01:34:26 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 17, 2017, 12:55:26 AM

To be honest I'm in them all the time.  Sure big box stores are much more prevalent but as a sales rep I can point you to well over 300 stores just in the four states I work.  Some are multi million dollar storefronts and others are simply a family affair but the point is they are mostly locally owned.  Now if you don't have such a place I get it and by all means shop where you wish. 

Trust me if small business retailers were dead groups like Sports inc, NBS, SHOT, and ATA would be dead but take this into consideration Sports Inc alone has more buying power than Walmart and Academy combined and as a buying group it's completely comprised? by small business.   

I say this: Small business isn't dead but the mindset of shopping there takes effort.

Even Midwest Turkey Call Supply is a small local business that has filled a niche market that would be void without them.
Well i bought items from Midwest Turkey call Supply and it was delivered today..So i do think a lot of us do support small business.. In my part of Tennessee we don't have the small stores...

Gooserbat

Greg don't take it to heart. I'm not implying you or anyone else doesn't support small businesses.  I'm only laying out another avenue for a different way to buy instead of big box stores.  Again shop where you want.  I personally like to spend my dollars local as much as I can, and I am always going to encourage others to as well. 
NWTF Booth 1623

ilbucksndux

We have ONE mom and pop store around here now and they dont have a selection of anything. Im not sure how they can stay open. A friend and I went to the bank with an idea and a buisness plan to open a small sporting goods store. We wanted to be able to sell seasonal stuff. Turkey stuff in turkey season,waterfowl stuff in duck season...........and we couldnt get the money,and after really looking at our plan I dont know what we were thinking at the time. You have to sell LOTS of shotgun shells to keep the lights on.
Gary Bartlow

Greg Massey

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 17, 2017, 02:07:55 AM
Greg don't take it to heart. I'm not implying you or anyone else doesn't support small businesses.  I'm only laying out another avenue for a different way to buy instead of big box stores.  Again shop where you want.  I personally like to spend my dollars local as much as I can, and I am always going to encourage others to as well.
Agree, i like to spend my money local also...

Gooserbat

The Mart doesn't have much more than just that about any where I go.  Very limited.

NWTF Booth 1623

1iagobblergetter

The couple Mom and Pops stores I've been in around my area just really don't have much for selection and what they do seem to have is alot more expensive than at a larger type retailer. I understand they need to keep the lights on,but it's hard to spend alot more when i don't need to. I think the Internet has killed more stores than anything else and I'm guilty on helping that out. I like to get the most out of my dollar and can check numerous places quickly for the best deal without leaving my house and having to  deal with people or waste gas.

MK M GOBL

So I have worked at both small shops and large retail, I would say we were able to personalize our product selection in the mom & pop store to what our area looks for more than large retail does, maybe not as large of a selection but more local.

One thing with this is that while you might not consider large retail as "local" like a mom & pop store but they do hire a lot of local people that live in that town, raise their family in that town and spend their money they earn back in that town... that is all pretty local...

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 17, 2017, 03:11:07 AM
So I have worked at both small shops and large retail, I would say we were able to personalize our product selection in the mom & pop store to what our area looks for more than large retail does, maybe not as large of a selection but more local.

One thing with this is that while you might not consider large retail as "local" like a mom & pop store but they do hire a lot of local people that live in that town, raise their family in that town and spend their money they earn back in that town... that is all pretty local...

MK M GOBL
Agree....

fallhnt

The mom and pop near me has millions in guns ,Archery, waterfowl, camo and fishing etc. We are lucky. Bass Pro came in about three years ago and can't really compete with them,if you are a seasoned hunter or fisherman who knows what you need and what works. Bass Pro and Malwart are good to pick up stuff on sale or when your outdoor card gets points on it. I bought more Hot hands body warmers for 1.50 at the Malwart the other day. I have also found that not all Malwart are created equal. Some have guns etc. It varies by region. When I go out west I don't see much mom and pop but that doesn't mean much. Bass Pro probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the gambling boat a mile from it. And I bet most people wouldn't be able to find the mom and pop store I spoke of if they were in town.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy