turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tough weekend in South Florida

Started by MiamiE, March 12, 2017, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

Hunted hard these last 3 days in the South Florida swamps. First morning setup at the end of a long fire break with thick brush all around which was my first mistake. Not much around really and I would watch a strutter there preseason. He gave us the slip both mornings as he pitches down into a big slough that's impenetrable. Decided to move to another spot this morning that was absolutely on fire. 6 different gobblers firing off at first light from all direction. Closest one 75 yards away in a cypress head. Thought he was gonna be in the bag. Gave him some light yelps and clucks to no avail. Never did see him but I'm sure he flew down away from us although a few hens did fly down around us. He shut up quick though and would not respond to us. . These birds been called a lot these past few weeks. 2 other birds firing off behind us a couple hundred yards through some thick cypress and 2 more ahead in some more cypress. 1 of the two would hit me back. It was straight mayhem for 2.5 hours, head on a swivel. My buddy decided against advice to try and head after the bird to our north gobbling his head off still. He was gobbling and drumming in a big hurry through that cypress head but would not answer any of our calls. Eventually disappeared into a field after catching a quick glimpse of him. Thinking back I definitely think we should have stayed put. Thought for sure we had some single guys out there since they were gobbling so much till 9am. Just when you think you got it figured out you're served some humble pie! Still one of the best mornings I've ever had in the turkey woods!

ChiefBubba

Sounds like you had a lot of action though. Stay with them. Were you on a public WMA? If so I'm thinking I know which one. You don't have to name it but how's it been out there? Bubba

MiamiE

Yes it was public and this weekend was absolutely fire out there. Still not many birds killed.

g8rvet

Good to hear they are fired up anyways. 

Heya Bubba! 

My duck season sucked, I have been ready for turkeys since January. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.