turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Its that time of year...........

Started by jakesdad, March 10, 2017, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

for all the facebook "hows my 60 yd pattern look" from the I dont want to learn how to call birds in close crowd. No bashing of you guys that shoot the HTL and TSS loads. The guys here seem to be shooting realistic distances just "souping up" the sub gauges,which is great. Wish I could afford to load TSS for my 410. Seems TSS is getting the same treatment as the LBs when they first came out. "I heard they're good to 60 + on the internet so im gonna get me some" mentality is getting old.Almost to the point where I wish I could reach through a computer screen and grab some of these yahoos by the neck and say "turkey hunting is supposed to be a how close game not a how far game dumba$$!!! :angry9: :angry9:.  Rant over! ;D ;D

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Greg Massey

owlhoot

Kylongspur88

Well... I think every gun/load combo has a max effective range. I have no problem with somebody pulling the trigger at a long distance if and only if you know what your gun can do. What I don't like is if someone assumes their gun and a shell will do x y z because of what it says on a box or a pro said so on TV.

I know my absolute max range is 50 yards. Nothin past that. If that birds locked up at 50 (laser ranged) and I've got a clear shot I'll kill him.

greencop01

I've said this before, you can't change people. I think this sport we love is meant for up close and personal. I call my birds as close as I can. My average shot is 15-20 yds. I love the rush seeing them walk in huntin for a hen, they are huntin you. Have a close gobble feel like it's about to blow your hat off. I don't kill a ton of birds I work and can't take a lot of time off. But every year between me and my friends we take a few.                     

Some people like to kill em far away from them, whatever floats their boat, or fan em. But they won't do it with me. To each their own as long as its legal. I'ld like to tell you all, find Col. Dave Harbour's book, "Hunting the American Wild Turkey". You can hear his enthusiasm in his words. This man lived and breathed wild turkeys. He died of a heart attack after shooting a turkey he called in. The method of scoring turkeys used by the NWTF was developed by Mr Harbour. Read his book, its what turkey hunting is all about, calling in a turkey and then harvesting him. I'm not criticizing as I said to each his own but what they are missing!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

BowBendr

The art of turkey hunting is becoming a forgotten memory....turkey shooting however, is on a huge upswing.

fallhnt

60 yards....that's old school by now isn't it? :z-guntootsmiley:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

compton30

As long as it's legal, hunt the way you like to hunt.  This type of elitism is only bad for hunting as a sport. 

snapper1982

Quote from: compton30 on March 11, 2017, 04:03:46 AM
As long as it's legal, hunt the way you like to hunt.  This type of elitism is only bad for hunting as a sport.

You want "eliteism" stick around a few more months. It only gets worse during season.

30_06

I like TSS for the ability to use smaller shot and get a bit less recoil. Can't say I have ever had a problem with a person legally taking a turkey...or even talking about legally taking one.

Esse quam videri

stinkpickle

catman529

My longest shot was 50 on a fall bird and was just a lucky shot with my setup. I would never try it again with the setup I have and wouldn't really care to do it again even if I had a good 60 yard pattern. No regrets, just sort of a "been there done that". Now I completely understand a new hunter being happy with whatever bird he can manage to kill, that was me just a few years ago, I even shot one off the roost one morning and I still don't regret it. But after killing a few gobblers, it seems like using any means possible to get another bird is more just for bragging than the enjoyment of the hunt. Which we all like to brag sometimes, so I know how it is. But for me I would rather have em a little closer. It doesn't make me or anyone better than another, it's just more exciting. When the drumming sounds like a subwoofer and you can see their eyeballs looking for that hen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB30

I think every turkey hunter goes through different phases in their "career" so to speak. When I was younger I would do just about anything to take a gobbler home. Never shot one off the limb but just about anything else out side of fanning I have done. Including sneaking one, using decoys, etc.

I think as you get older and hunt these birds longer you begin to realize what it is all truly about and I get more enjoyment out of it now than I ever have. I used to have a real problem letting a bird walk off that I thought was borderline in range. Now, it just makes it that more exciting knowing I have a good adversary to play the game with another day.

I also think that applies for most kinds of hunting.